Bought these coins in

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Countryman0331, May 25, 2015.

1. Countryman0331

Countryman0331 New Member

Hello,
    I'm not really a coin collector and don't really know anything about old coins. I was wondering if these may be original and what their worth may be? During our deployment last year we took a stop in Hong Kong for a liberty port and I saw a lady selling these for only a couple dollars in a back alley marketplace so I figured for the price I might as well buy them and take a chance. Any help would be appreciated!
    Thank you

IMG_2321[1].JPG IMG_2322[1].JPG

swamp yankee likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

Hate to tell you this, but they are all fake.

4. Countryman0331

Haha dang it, I figured so. Couldn't really pass it for the price though, thank you!

5. coloradobryan

Do you plan on starting collecting? If so, may go out to a coin dealer and buy a real morgan dollar (it's the one dated 1887) and compare it to the fake. The one dated 1883 is called a trade dollar, and if it were real, would be a pretty pricy coin. They are often faked. The one dated 1840 is a seated liberty dollar, and a real one would also be a bit on the high side, 315 to almost 6000 in circulated grades. You could get the real 1887 for around 30 to 60 dollars.

Countryman0331 likes this.
  6. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

Did you buy a Rolex watch too?:muted:

7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Even though it's fake that is a nice clash!
    fake.JPG

8. coloradobryan

Guy must have fallen asleep at the press on that one.

paddyman98 likes this.
  9. Countryman0331

No I don't really plan on starting a collection, I'm more of a WWII militaria collector but I know how the value of antiques can be so I didn't want to pass the chance when I bought these. They were only a couple dollars so no loss really! And no , no rolex watch haha! I appreciate the help everyone, thank you very much!

10. foreverEBG

foreverEBG Member

hey it was worth a shot and that's the part of the game. My father had a display case full of these and when he passed the house were burglarized. The best part was the thief grabbed the counterfeits instead of the real stuff and then sold them to a local shady gas station coin shop. When the cops finally caught the guy he had added counterfeiting charges!!!! Talk about Karma, ROFLMAO. So it might behoove you to keep those out as a conversation piece as well as a diversion.

Kirkuleez likes this.
  11. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

Fist of all, thank you for your service and Welcome to Coin Talk. It's funny, you don't really have to collect coins to connect here on this forum. I bought an Eisenhower medal last month at my coin club. I have a growing respect for Ike, if I can remember I'll post a pic. I bring up the medal to kinda point out the WWII connection. Heck, you could start with an Ike dollar set, doesn't get more WWII than ike right :) There was also an article about the US involvment in printing Francs in preparation for the D-day invasion and following campaign. If I can dig that up I'll post it here too.

12. coloradobryan

I work at Eisenhower tunnel in Colorado, and we have a picture of Ike in our control room, and I'm working on upgrading my Ike set. The tunnel was named for Ike due to the Eisenhower interstate system. I'm going to add a circulated set of Ike dollars to go along with his picture.

phankins11 likes this.
  13. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

As promised...pic of the Ike medal. The medal was issued for the 10th anniversary observance of Captive Nations Week in 1969. Here are a couple of cool links to information about the medal. Its a hard one to search for. Looks like the Bronze version was minted in unlimited quantities.

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1969/07/13/page/154/article/coin-collector
    http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1970/02/15/page/135/article/coin-collector

CaptiveNationsIkeMedal.jpg

And I've also uploaded a PDF of the D-Day Currency article from the Numismatist. (I've contacted the ANA regarding sharing this PDF, if they come back and say no then I will remove the file, but I'm pretty sure they will be OK with it, as I've done this before.) I found this article to be fascinating, as it was not something I had ever thought about being a need when planning something on the scale of D-Day but it makes sense.

Enjoy!

Attached Files:

14. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

Bad news they ARE all fake, sorry!

Draft saved Draft deleted