Bought some wheatie rolls on eBay

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by DysfunctionalVeteran, Sep 2, 2016.

1. DysfunctionalVeteran

DysfunctionalVeteran Oddly enough

And pulled out a few pieces of wood in the first look through. Nothing really stood out besides a few 1919's, 1919-s, 1918, 1917, 1917-S, 1931-D.

Anything I should keep my eyes out for?
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

Not sure who you bought them from but for the majority of the rolls sold on eBay they've been searched. You want find rare or keys unless the are salted on the end of the roll to try and get bidders. Now there may possibly be some original rolls but just be cautious

Markus1959 and Paddy54 like this.
  4. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Also "seeded" for a high price! And I would be careful of your so called "woodies" - they look like wannabe woodies.

MKent likes this.
  5. DysfunctionalVeteran

The ends don't look like planted ends to lure me in.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Markus1959

Anybody think "unsearched rolls" on Ebay are actually "unsearched"?

[​IMG]

MKent and spirityoda like this.
  7. DysfunctionalVeteran

I didn't pay a crazy price for them. No Mercury dime plants, no Indian head penny plants.

The funny thing is I never said anything about "unsearched" anything.

8. Markus1959

YES - they sell old coin wrappers and new coin rolling machines - don't doubt!!

Seattlite86 likes this.
  9. Markus1959

You didn't have to.

10. DysfunctionalVeteran

They didn't say unsearched and neither did I.

11. DysfunctionalVeteran

That one had a 1913-D. Must have been planted just for me.

Santinidollar and Seattlite86 like this.
  12. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Okay, being a fellow veteran who came back from Afghanistan and bought tons and tons of these, I can PROMISE you that you're wasting your money. I'm embarrassed to say my expenditures were close to the 4 digit dollar realm and all I got out of it were a bunch of crappy cents. I got some nice uncirculated coins, some junk/cull IHCs, even some of the older ones to include Flying Eagle Cents. I lost a lot of money. Yes, they actually do plant coins in there to hook you and keep you interested. They pepper rolls with nice coins and even will throw in an 1877 or 1908-S, or something really sexy so people go "no way, that's legit!" and spend spend spend. Do yourself a favor, don't spend any more on rolls off of eBay. They've all been searched and rerolled. All of them. Just go with that mentality from here on out, trust me and everyone else who played that silly game and lost big. We're not discouraging you out of jealousy, it's out of experience. You're more than welcome to learn from your own mistakes but you're better off learning from ours.

13. Markus1959

I'm just trying to give you a heads up buying rolls on Ebay.
    Take it as you want!

Smojo and Seattlite86 like this.
  14. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

I bought a roll off eBay once. It was an auction and I knew it had been planted with Indians. One on each end. Although one Indian had the reverse out with an S mintmark. Common sense tells me it's planted with an 08 S. No one bid on it. Starting was 50 bucks. Sure enough it was a 1908 S and one other Indian and 40s and 50s wheats. I was the lone bidder and ended up with a vg 1908 S for 50 bucks. Sometimes you can win with rolls. But not often

15. Markus1959

True grade or a details coin that was cleaned, scratched, or had some damage? If you got a true grade then great for you for skunking the seller!!

MKent and Evan8 like this.
  16. DysfunctionalVeteran

I bought them for my kid to make an album and learn about coins. They were cheap rolls and not advertised as being unsearched. I'm not looking for rare 09 s vdb's.

It's insane the amount of negative feedback off 3 rolls of pennies under $30. People wonder why young kids aren't interested in coins. This thread is a prime example why.

Evan8 likes this.
  17. Evan8

2016-08-08-22-07-23.jpg
    This was the one

Smojo and Santinidollar like this.
  18. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

The negative feedback was more cautionary than anything. You got a little defensive and that screamed to us "I'm not going to believe you" hence the even bigger effort to warn you. We don't like seeing people waste money. I'm certain many of us have wheat cents we could sell you for dirt cheap, all you need to do is post a "WTB" listing...

MKent likes this.
  19. Evan8

I think that is great. I used to buy wheats by the thousand from a local dealer. I knew they were probably seeded but wheat cents are where I learned about varieties. Most people selling a bunch of wheats look for the key dates and let a lot of good varieties go. Sit you kids down with a magnifying glass and let them hunt for doubled dies and RPMs. Best way to start learning.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  20. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Get a whole bag of shotgun or old wrappers for .99 at dollar general

Markus1959 likes this.
  21. JeffsRealm

JeffsRealm Active Member

You know I was just thinking the same thing as i was reading this thread. Or actually I was wondering if this would be a feesable purchase for that.

I was talking with my sister recently about the coins I inherited. She actually wants to try to get my Great Nephew interested or start him with something to do so she asked if any coins I do not want I give to him. His Birthday is end of the month, September, and while I inheritect a bunch of coins, I still got a lot of sorting to go through and organizing and I have to travel for work too so crunched for time. So What i was thinking is buying a couple rolls of old cents like wheat rolls, don't really care if they are picked through, he has nothing so let him start with something to go through. Then buying a whitman folder book for those date ranges. Then hopefully over time I can give him more to sort through. I was thinking doing this exact thing would be good for this.

Any thoughts on doing this? Sure I would be paying more, I know this but I am paying for a large chunk of one specific type of coin in a range for a kid to get started.

Draft saved Draft deleted