Bought some quarters at the bank yesterday.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by rickmp, Jun 16, 2016.

1. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

10 rolls, all customer wrapped.
    I get them for my poker buddies and like to go through them first.
    All 10 rolls had $9.60 in them. $9.50 in quarters and 2 nickels.
    A nice little scam with 40 cents profit per roll.
    The bank made good on the shortage.
    I think they know who deposited them and will go after him/her.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Wow, such a windfall profit of $4.00 for them on the 10 rolls. Probably gives them a break from panhandling.

Mad Stax, Endeavor and mac266 like this.
  4. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

my bank you have to take coins out of the roll and put through their coin counting machines. You get a receipt and then take that to the teller.

Endeavor and mark_s_schwartz like this.
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Your bank must not trust ANYONE!

Chris

Endeavor likes this.
  6. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

With interest rates at rock bottom and likely to stay there, a bank probably won't let a red cent get away.:confused:

7. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

One must be careful when buying customer rolls of dimes and quarters. Sometimes people like to fill dime rolls with cents or put cotton balls into quarter rolls. I haven't experienced these kinds of things before but I've been told about them.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  8. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

Ah...the American way. Get cheated and complain about it; cheat someone else and gloat about it.

Pap4tinker and dwhiz like this.
  9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Rather cynical and judgemental Dave........most folks here ain't like that. A few, yes, but the majority? No.

Pap4tinker, dwhiz and Endeavor like this.
  10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Perhaps I'm just amoral, unethical scum, but I imagine a difference between "intentionally defrauding another person or institution" and "getting a nice surprise".

11. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

You are so right. I have certainly experienced the "getting a nice surprise" aspect of coin roll hunting. I'll never forget the time I bought a roll of cents and it was filled with 58 dimes. Obviously, this worked well in my favor so I didn't take issue with it!

12. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

A few months ago they were training a newbie. I bought in about 20 mixed rolls and she said I needed to put my telephone number or SS# on each of them. I looked over at Liz ( my sweetie ) and said "really"? She pulled the new girl to the side and said " He's one of my favorite people, don't do that again". If I didn't already have a girlfriend there would be some definite romance going on there.

13. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

My statement was directed at the "few".

14. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

Man I absolutely hate people that do this. They probably justify it by telling themselves it doesn't mean much to the "big bad bank". The only problem is those rolls usually fall into other customer's hands.

This is one instance where I wish I was a teller. If someone was doing this repeatedly and we were on to them I would open the rolls in front of them the next time they came in and embarrass them.

15. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I've had this happen and in my experience, IF a bank has a coin counter on hand (Most Don't) then they'll run the coins through the counter.

I had one bank charge me a 5% fee just for the privilege of "them" counting the coins! Never went back there again. NTW, that was the same bank that gave me a huge steaming pile of baloney about my son's School Savings Account!

16. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I don't think that the roll has to be opened since running your finger along the long edge of the roll would indicate the presence of small coins within the roll.

IF that were suspected, then opening the roll would be warranted and then seeking an explanation from the "customer".

Endeavor likes this.
  17. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

People have taken a round metal pipe the size of a quarter, glue a quarter to each end, put it in a paper roll and then go to a convenience store and spend it as $10 or get cash for it.

18. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

I bet that would instantly feel different in even an inexperienced persons hand. By weight distribution and the feel of a solid smooth element instead of a lumpy corrugated feel.

19. Pap4tinker

Pap4tinker Active Member

Coin machines and banks round here charge 10% or more. I didn't use those. Ill have to open another account so I don't end up dumping where I eat! Or so to speak.

20. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Where I live I find occasional cents in nickel rolls, occasional cents stuffed into dime rolls but quite a few dimes masquerading as cents in cent rolls. So someone, probably an elderly local is mixing coins up.

Draft saved Draft deleted