Bought first RAW coin online, need opinions please

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Kevinfred, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Kevinfred

Kevinfred Junior Member

Let me start by saying I'm not unhappy with the purchase. I actually bought two 1867 Indian Head Pennies. One is straightforward enough, but this one has me stumped. I paid $40 for it. The seller disclosed the 'scratch' coming down from 12o'clock but didn't mention the "chunk" (for lack of a better word) out of the chin. I couldn't see it in the seller photo. Again, I'm not unhappy as I'm learning and that to me is worth $40 regardless. Is the chin damage? Not that I'd send this in, but would it BE gradeable?

Thank you for the help on this... (the other '67 is a nice F but had a light cleaning) ;(

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

wow that coin is dark. I do not think you will be happy with it in the long run. save for a better grades and color.

4. Kevinfred

Kevinfred Junior Member

Here is the other...

Attached Files:

5. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Is it gradable No. The chunk out of the chin is more noticeable than the scratch. And plenty of corrosion. Me I'd be getting a refund

6. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

yup a refund.

7. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Way too rough to grade would get damaged and environmental damage I'd send it back and save your money for a clean one

BUncirculated likes this.
  8. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

I seen a 1918/7-D buffalo nickel at the coin show last weekend that had the same corrosion as your, I would say it was found metal detecting, like the buffalo nickel

9. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

More likely the Indianhead's been underwater somewhere for decades. Large cents found in the mud flats of the Mississippi look exactly the same, an all-over lumpy dark-chocolate appearance. But still metal-detected, of course. Refunddddddddd!

10. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Or in the dirt same with copper coins that get metal detected. Around early buildings in New England

11. Kevinfred

Kevinfred Junior Member

Well, I took it out of the original flip so a refund is not an option. It looks a *little* better in real life than scanned. Now that I understand more of WHAT to look for I'll see that chin next time. It just looked like a shadow when I first saw it.

Oh well... I gotta learn somehow. (but it does affirm my "graded only" policy when buying online)

hmm.....

12. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

You don't need to buy graded coins only, just know what you want. Keep this one as a reminder of what not to buy. If the coins are brown, look for a nice chocolate brown color. This is almost black. Indians are fun to search for, but don't look for a deal. Spend the money once and be happy with the coin.

Good luck with the eBay hunt!

Edit: 2nd pic doesn't look as bad as the first.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  13. doug444

Now y'all can reflect on the fact that when I was a kid, collecting coins, there was NO Internet, NO professional grading, NO "Gray Sheet," not even Photograde, and a "slab" was a hunk of concrete about 3 inches below your (shag) living room carpet. Coin World didn't start until I was 15 years old. Numismatic News didn't start until I was 8 years old. Anybody remember "Numismatic Scrapbook," about the size of a Reader's Digest, and "top dog" until the newsprint tabloids took over?

Then: Whitman folders, made in Wisconsin, 35 cents. Today: Whitman folders, made in China, $3.95 (I think).

Yeah, ALL coins were raw.....

14. StGauden658

StGauden658 Junior Member

Anybody remember "Numismatic Scrapbook," about the size of a Reader's Digest, and "top dog" until the newsprint tabloids took over?

I do :) They stop publication ,If I remember well, in the mid or late 70's.

15. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Find a local coin club,dealer or fellow collector to ask questions and help give you guidance before you buy.

16. Kevinfred

Kevinfred Junior Member

You guys are my only hope.... (no there is another)

17. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Do you still have the flip it came in. If so, put it back in and send it back. Even if the buyer says you can't, the eBay guarantee still covers it. Of course the item had to have that protection to begin with. The guarantee says if it's not as described, they will honor a return. If the nick wasn't described on the coin, then it implies there is none. I'll bet eBay would honor your claim, especially since a lesser problem (The scratch) was indicated in the description. If you lighten up his picture and adjust the contrast, can you get it to show from his photograph. That would prove it was there but not referenced in his description.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  18. Kevinfred

Kevinfred Junior Member

Stating that I took it out of the flip so refunding wasn't an option sort of implied that I wanted to (which isn't the case) Although I respect (and agree with most) the posts I'll still stand by my original thought and that is that I'm not unhappy with the coin. For $40 it has a clear date, good rims, decent head dress and the reverse is really nice too!

19. doug444

Years ago, I had a girlfriend like that coin. We only went out on Halloween.

Draft saved Draft deleted