Bought an USB Microscope

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Billyray, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Billyray

Billyray Junior Member

Howdy, I just purchased one of those USB Microscopes, so I figured I'd give a sorta review on it. It was a Veho VMS-004 Deluxe.

So far the images are good, although focusing is a pain. There is a capture button on the side, but using the capture button in the software is better, since you're not touching or moving the scope. I just wish there was a focus button in the software. The software comes on a minidisk so it cannot be used on a slot loading CD drive.

The base needs to be a little heavier, as it tips sometimes. The gradients on the focus wheel really serve no purpose since you'll be looking at the screen to focus it. It only has 2 magnifications, 20x and 400x (according to the documentation) with nothing in between. In hindsight, I should of bought the VMS-001 which is 20x and 200x, seeing as 400x is a little too close for the majority of coin work.

The 8 LEDs provide plenty of light, although, with the way the stand is, it adds some shadows, atleast until I find a way to make it steadier and vertical. The images can be saved in 9 different resolutions ranging from 160x120 to 1600x1200. I'll be posting some pics to show the quality and zoom.

If you have any questions, please ask.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Billyray

Billyray Junior Member

Ok, here is a pic of that Spanish doubled die I have. It was taken at 20x with the microscope at a slight angle (since the stand can't hold it vertical).

[​IMG]

4. Billyray

Billyray Junior Member

Here is a closeup of a Netherlands doubled die I have. The image is of the left crossbar of the T in Cent. It was taken at 400x and with the scope at a slight angle. The image was also resized from 1024 to 512 pixels wide.

[​IMG]

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

This may sound dumb, but it might help the stability problem. You could use one of the arm weights that is encased in plastic and has a velcro strap and secure it (somehow!) to the underside of the base. Either that, or get a conventional barbell weight (1lb ?) and secure it to the underside.

Chris

6. Billyray

Billyray Junior Member

Another thing I've found. There's no OFF button, so you have to unplug it when not in use, although I don't see any issue with leaving it plugged in if you keep it out of the way. It has a 4 to 5 foot cord.

7. Billyray

Billyray Junior Member

I've been thinking of mounting it to something so I can keep the scope vertical. Just received it today, 2 hours ago, so I haven't decided what yet lol.

8. Billyray

Billyray Junior Member

Ok, here is what I mean by shadows, since it's not vertical. Notice the top of the image, and look at the glare on his chin. By the way, this is the size of the image at 20x, so if you want an image of the full coin, you may need to buy a 10x one.

[​IMG]

9. Billyray

Billyray Junior Member

And every time you open the software, it defaults to 640x480, so unless that's the one you're gonna use, you'll need to change it every time.

10. cpm9ball

640x480 is about the size you'd want to post anyway.

There is just about no way to avoid a certain amount of glare. After you get used to it, you will find that you'll just have to adjust the position of the coin to avoid the glare on the most important part. The same holds true for the shadow. Even the best stereomicroscopes have the issues of glare and shadows.

Chris

11. Farstaff

Farstaff Member

Chris
    Which brand and model do you use?

12. cpm9ball

Pac-Sci Stereomicroscope with Zoom & Gooseneck Camera (software on standard CD) attached via USB with over/under halogen lighting.

Made in the good old USA! It was pretty expensive 6 years ago, $850 shipped, but it was worth every penny.

Chris

Attached Files:

13. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Now, that's one kickass setup!

14. Shoewrecky

Shoewrecky Coin Hoarder

chris, can i have that..besides isn't it time for you to get a new one?!? :)

15. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

I've been looking for a set-up like that. I've come across a couple on Kijiji but one seller wouldn't answer his emails and the other sold in like half an hour. If someone knows of other venues that have something in the $500 or less (used), please let me know.

I'd prefer a used one so I can do some custom modifications on it.

Btw, Chris, those are awesome pics!

16. Numismatist47

Numismatist47 New Member

24.gif

17. cpm9ball

Eventually, I plan to upgrade to a trinocular stereomicroscope which has a dedicated eyepiece for the USB camera. I'm not sure when that time will be, but I'll be happy to make you a deal on it. There's only one thing I should caution you about..........the price will go up $25 every time you bug me about it.

Chris

18. jhinton

jhinton Well-Known Member

ha ha

19. Farstaff

Farstaff Member

Yes I agree. Nice system and setup Chris

20. Billyray

Billyray Junior Member

Just another pic, still playing around with it. Then the fun starts lol.

Closeup of a Lincoln 1993 D mintmark

[​IMG]

21. Billyray

Billyray Junior Member

Ok, I've decided to sell this one and buy a 20x-200x one. This one just takes pictures wayyyy too close lol.

Draft saved Draft deleted