Bought an interesting $2 1/2 Pendant

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jwitten, Apr 27, 2017.

1. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I've bought plenty of $2 1/2 in bezels, but this is my first like this. I had to buy it just because I was curious what it was. It almost looked like a clear resin was dropped onto the coin, permanently sealing it inside. It has a rubbery feel to it. I had to cut the bezel to open it, and it turned out to be two cup shaped soft plastic pieces, almost like contacts. Seems like it protected the coin pretty well too! Has anyone seen coins in bezels like this before?
    jw1.jpg jw2.jpg jw3.jpg jw4.jpg jw5.jpg jw6.jpg jw7.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

That's cool.

So no artifacts or remnants that would give it a details grade?

mynamespat likes this.
  4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Neat & it protected the coin nicely

5. jwitten

I don't think so. It looks like it protected the coin from the bezel. I will try to get some better pictures shortly.

6. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

Beautiful coin

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I've seen similar ultra-thin disks used to protect coins and medals, but I never knew where they were made. I acquired a pair of California Parks and Recreation medals in 2005 that had a similar cover. I didn't realize the covers were there until after I received the package.

1869071-IMG_1629.jpg

1869021-IMG_1626.jpg

Note that the unprotected side toned from contact with the presentation case.
    1869021-IMG_1627.jpg

Whoever came up with the idea of having a jeweler mount the coin in the bezel with the plastic cover still on it was pretty smart.

Chris

dwhiz and jwitten like this.
  8. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I have one that is identical to your bezel, but the coin is not nearly as nice. I forget the date offhand, but it was nothing special. It was a melting pot rescue and purchased at spot price in the late nineties.

9. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

10. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

11. jwitten

Interesting! They did not snap together, but maybe it's because there are none designed exactly for this coin?

12. jwitten

Just pulled them back out, and they don't snap together, so it must be something else.

13. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I know there was a similar product offered by another company years ago. That may be what you have.

jwitten likes this.
  14. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I have seen bezels holding gold flakes like that, in fact I gave some of them to my wife a few years ago but she prefers the $10 Liberty to wear.

jwitten likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted