bought a book of early lincoln cents

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lugia, May 16, 2013.

1. Lugia

Lugia ye olde UScoin enthusiast

I went to the local auctions yesterday because they had listed a Whitman book of 1909-1940 Lincoln cents with the plastic inserts in addition to a ton of other things which were only slightly interesting. unfortunately the site only had a picture of the cover itself but inside was everything I could want/afford. it has everything besides 09 S/VDBS - 14 D - 22 no mintmark (why was that even put in the book) and 31 S. id say everything else there is G+ with only some of later dates having verdigris. I got it for 75.50 after fees. I was to tired to take pictures of it when I got home but I will say this set looks like it was assembled a long time ago as franklin halves were still being minted when the book came out. ill get pictures of whats there tomorrow so you guys can tell me what you think.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lanny

Lanny Mr. Nice Guy

Missing the key dates but I think you did alright. What collection are you going for next?

4. Lugia

I don't know. large cents and morgans/peace dollars get to expensive. ill probably just buy odds and ends for a type set more then an actual set of anything. I wonder how much of a book you could of put together like this in 1960-63. ive only decided to take general pictures of the book itself for now. if it was one of those cheaper books I would get flips for them but ill keep this one as is. if anyone wants better pics of specific ones ill see what I can do.

Attached Files:

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

in 1960 to 1963, just about what you have, plus the possibility of hitting the biggies.

In jr. high I knew someone who found an S VDB, no joke.

I found a 22 Plain.

The 09 VDB were no big deal, I probably had a half a roll at the time.

6. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Excellent starter set, fair price too! :)

You need to address the verdigris ASAP. It will only get worse. I'd ditch that album, those hold moisture and will only serve to contribute to the corrosion process.

7. Lugia

I took out as many choice coins I had flips for and took pics of them. some of them are fairly worn like the 11 S and 10 S but there should be enough detail in the pics to make them out.

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted