Bought 100 uncleaned coins, 12 are magnetic. Fishy?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by HBrider, Sep 24, 2017.

1. HBrider

HBrider Member

Out of the 100, 12 of them stick to my jewelers magnet. Probably about 4 of them, its a low magnetic attraction where the coin will follow the magnet across the surface. The rest, its a strong attraction where the coin will jump up and attach to the magnet when it is a quarter of an inch away.

From what I researched, some bronze coins were mixed with iron (which probably got some heads chopped off), but I believe this is uncommon, and I shouldnt get 12 in a batch of 100, and maybe not ones that are VERY magnetic.

I also suspect that this batch of coins were previously cleaned enough to be assessed and identified, and then were "re-dirtied" so they could be sold. It only took a very brief soak in tap water and a rinse, and much of the coins details could be seen, and the coins identified. Though I could be wrong on this. Perhaps the finders of these hoards don't even bother trying to ID bronze coins.

Here's the entire batch, with the coins on the bottom being the magnetic ones...

[​IMG]

Closer shot of them.

[​IMG]

Advertised shot of them:

[​IMG]

They were advertised as quality coins, so far it doesn't seem like it, but they need weeks of soaking in distilled water, then olive oil, then some individual cleaning, before I can bring out their full potential. Though it seems like a significant amount may have bronze diseases.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

They all look like Contrast, Repetition, Alignment & Proximity! :yack:

GerardV likes this.
  4. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

@HBrider I was approached with such a deal recently but did not take him up on it. I wonder if may be the same seller.
    Feel free to PM me, may be able to compare notes and see if he's a skeemer.

5. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

Aka unless you paid very little for it, you got screwed still good for learning though by the way 99.99999999% of uncleaned lots are crap that's been picked through basically a scam.

Thanks,
    Jacob

GerardV likes this.
  6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Very similar to the "unsearched cent rolls" they sell to US coin collectors.

GerardV and Youngcoin like this.
  7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

This is an example of why I no longer clean coin lots. I too believe they have all been gone over (probably several times). Anything of value has been removed. You are better off spending your money on coins that appeal to you and not culls.

GerardV, Alegandron and Orfew like this.
  8. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

It's already been said before me HBrider. I want to say better luck next time but a transaction like that doesn't have any luck at all. It's all a big gamble and the house never loses! I hope it didn't cost you too much! Good luck to you in the future!!

9. HBrider

HBrider Member

Thanks for the feedback. But what about the 12 coins that are magnetic? Do you think thats normal? Or could they be fakes?

I bought uncleaned ancient coins once before on eBay, but this was like 14 years ago. They were much better. A lot of them were very large and thick. A lot of them had good detail. They were good enough to where I shipped them all to a coin expert I know, and he assessed them, and slabbed them. And one of them was even a rare one that no other known example exists. But this lot here, not even close, it seems.

But maybe after cleaning, I could get lucky and find a few gems. But a part of me just thinks I should return it.

10. KIWITI

KIWITI Well-Known Member

Magnetism means nothing to us. No one goes checking which ones sticks, because it tells us nothing (unlike modern coins).

If you bought that lot just for fun, it´s OK to play with it.

Alegandron likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted