Border's book sale

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lincoln Cents, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Lincoln Cents

Lincoln Cents Cents not pennies

I got a redbook for $2.99 at borders. I would recommend that you and get a good deal (there were other whitman books, too).

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Borders? I thought they closed all of their shops?

4. coppermania

coppermania Numistatist

Didn't Borders go bankrupt? Our's closed in my town and they are blowing out books with a fire sale. I didn't even think to check their coin refs.

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Yeah it went bankrupt so all are closing.

Shame too cause I liked them more then Barns & Noble.

6. I actually checked, and the website was up, and they had the redbook for sale. It costs $14.99. That's weird, how did you get it for only $2?

7. rev1774

rev1774 Well-Known Member

I didn't find it that cheap either~~

8. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

At all their stores, the inventory is discounted. I think they're at 50-70% off currently. The website doesn't have the same discounts. However, when I went to my local borders (everything was 30% off then), most of the coin references were pretty picked over. I did pick up both a 2012 blue book and the most recent Krauss world coins catalog at 30% off, but it was slim pickings.

EDIT: I would still say it's worth checking, though, since you won't find coin books that cheap anywhere else. Also, they had some whitman folders and albums, if you like those, at the same discounts.

9. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

There is one about 120 kilometres from where I live, and it was still going a couple of weeks ago. I did pick up several CD's and even a couple of coin references. And yes, stuff was very very cheap.

10. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Going out of business sale.

They filed bankruptcy over a month ago.

11. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

By the time they reach their 60-70% off tier, a lot of there good coin reference material has since sold out. At least here in the bay area, everybody had their iPads and laptops in the store checking ebay and amazon to see how much money they can make by "book flipping".

12. Lincoln Cents

Lincoln Cents Cents not pennies

The redbook was labeled at five dollars, but when I when to check out I learned that it was also 40% off.

13. Lawtoad

Lawtoad Well-Known Member

You got a really good price on the Redbook. I picked up my 2012 Redbook at Borders when they had just started the clearance sales. I wound up paying about $9.50 for mine. I didn't want to wait too long in case the few copies they had at the time got snapped up.

14. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Since I have no interest in newest coins, I simply pick up one year old Redbooks on Ebay for like a dollar every few years. Its a decent background guide, and was interesting reading when I was young, but I think I memorized the 1977 edition cover to cover, and not a lot changes from year to year. :)

Chris

15. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

I missed out on getting the Cherrypicker guides when they were at 40-50% off still too expensive for me then...the borders by me is sold out of those, and last week I picked up some of the last reference books they had...lots of folders left though...

Draft saved Draft deleted