Books good for someone who wants to learn

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Brandi Wilson, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Brandi Wilson

Brandi Wilson ... a kid at heart

Ok I have the red book, the grading book, and I got a couple of magazines to flip through (but not subscriptions). What's next? Screenshot_20200314-232601~2.png

Inspector43 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Good start, but, I think the best investment in coin collecting knowledge is the friends on this forum. I collected for over 70 years and have many books on the subject. But, I have learned more in 2 years on this board than in all those 70 prior.

4. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Maybe figure out what coins you like and buy a few, or find a Coin Club in your area! That said, with this Coronavirus threat going on they may not be meeting, idk. There was supposed to be a Coin Show in Sacramento 3/20 and 3/21 and it's been cancelled due to the Coronavirus. I guess it's way too contagious!

Brandi Wilson likes this.
  5. TONYBRONX

TONYBRONX Well-Known Member

Hello do you have the book "THE ART AND SCIENCE OF GRADING COINS" BY JASON POE
    I have been collecting for a while and I keep reviewing this book! I think that one of, or the most important think you could do is learn to grade coins, I hope this is not redundant!
    Happy Trails!

JeffC, Stevearino and Brandi Wilson like this.
  6. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

Meow feels you don't like Cats, but Actually Meow learned more here than in all the books.

Matthew Kruse likes this.
  7. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

This X100..... I been collecting almost fifty years. Read the books. Spent all my free time in coin shops. But the few years I have been on this forum has increased my knowledge base tenfold.

8. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

What about web site to use for references?
    Vatietyvista.com
    Franklinlovers.com
    Wexler coins
    Shield nickels.net
    These are just a few of many on line sites that one can use for references.
    Google is your best friend in finding out of print books that may be on line for you again to use for recerences.

9. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

Cherrypickers' Guide To Rare Die Varieties of United States Coins

I would highly suggest this two book edition be next. There is suppose to be new editions coming out or already have come out. All of the suggestions above are also very good.

10. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

What are you interested in? That would help with suggestions.

11. Brandi Wilson

I have a cat. And two dogs and two Guinea pigs. IMG_20180803_220025~2.jpg

12. Brandi Wilson

Well I've been collecting pennies. I like error coins in those. All the more recent coins I like the different varieties. But I have been seeing the ancient coins and would love to learn more about them. I like the pictures and the history.

13. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

The cherrypickers guide for sure. Bowers encyclopedia of us coins is a really comprehensive guide to about everything another thing is if you can get some old stacks bowers or heritage auction catalogs they can be fun reading and very educational as well as drool worthy i had a bunch when I was a kid I read to death and drooled over

Brandi Wilson and ldhair like this.
  14. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I take this book with me when I travel. 400 pages that go into a lot of detail.
    It was free back in the day but they go for about $100 now.
    51yCjWKtuNL__SX310_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Dimedude2, Kevin Mader and Mainebill like this.
  15. halfcent1793

halfcent1793 Well-Known Member

In the Red Book, you might find some series that sound interesting. You might then want to read some of the more specialized books on the subjects. There are also a number of specialized coin clubs in the country that provide not only information but a social outlet for your collecting.

There's a LOT to explore in coin collecting.

16. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Books good for someone who wants to learn

Brandi when it comes to books there just so much to learn ! For example -

books.jpg

That picture was taken long ago, and the number of books increased significantly after that ! And I have thousands of files stored on my computer of various research papers, articles, entire books, and files I created myself. And I started studying and researching coins in 1960. I even helped write an award winning book that was published just a few years ago. And there is still a mountain of info I don't have, things I still have to learn.

I guess what I'm trying to tell ya is to take 1 step at a time. Pick a given subject that you wanna learn about and buy a few books on that subject. Read' em, study 'em, get to know what's in them. Then pick another and another and so on. That's about the best ya can do.

17. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

As for specific books based on what you like to collect, look around. I like Morgans, so I have a book about them, and recently picked up one on Franklin and Kennedy halves. I'm interested in them, so I get the books about them.

18. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

19. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

That's what is great about collecting and becoming a numismatist - you can specialize in a specific area of any type - world, U.S. ancients, hammered, milled, etc.
    There are books specifically written by students and experts in all disciplines.

20. Brandi Wilson

What magazines do you guys subscribe to?

21. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

I occasionally buy Coin World, but I don't subscribe to any magazines. I never have the time to read them cover to cover, so they just pile up. If you have time to read them, they can really help at first.

Also consider subscribing to the American Numismatic Association to receive their magazine The Numismatist. That's currently the only regular magazine that I receive.

When I started, I read the Red Book cover to cover. It didn't take long and it taught me a lot of the basics. After that, I branched out based on my interests.

Draft saved Draft deleted