Booker Washington half dollar purchase.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by kforbes862, Nov 19, 2013.

1. ericl

ericl Senior Member

what does this mean?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Ebay listing number. Plug it into the search function........

4. ericl

ericl Senior Member

Thanks! Did some more research. The 1947 BTWs weren't mostly melted down, but were just put into circulation. However, If it was a genuine 1948 BTW, it would indeed be worth over a grand in UNC.

The Red Book pricing is BS on the BTWs, they haven't changed since the 1950s.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  5. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Again, and with all due respect, sir, making such ridiculous claims helps no one unfamiliar who may read this thread. First it was a 47 and now 48, but it does not matter one iota. To prove this easily and simply, please go to Heritage (ha.com) and type in "1948 Booker T Washington 50C" (or any other date they were issued); doing so should end this notion that any BTW in "unc" carries such a value.

6. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

7. green18

Eric, heed BooksB4Coins and Bkozak33. There is no way the coin is worth moon money. In '67 & '68 grades it would sell for moon money but not in this case.......

8. ericl

ericl Senior Member

I've been trying to assemble a complete set in VF or lower for decades, I've seen the '48s and '49s going for over a grand in UNC. A 1948 or '49 VF or lower is almost impossible to get because with less than eighteen thousand individual coins, all of which were issued in sets, well, there are probably less than a hundred individual coins each in that grade.

Yes the coins were unpopular, but aside from the 1946s or maybe the '47s, 1950(P) and 1951(P), the rest are almost literally impossible to get

9. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

If you would of bought a unc booker last decade, kept it in your pocket for ten years you would have a VF booker today.

green18 likes this.
  10. ericl

ericl Senior Member

I don't understand, why do so many here HATE this series?

11. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

I don't see any post here indicating that any particular member hates the series. We are just dispelling the notion that this coin should command over $1,000 in UNC. Here is a PCGS graded MS65 1947 half, sold for $85. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1947-Booker...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

You can see similar prices by doing "completed listings" on ebay.
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sac...er+t+washington&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc

By all means if you want to pay a grand for this coin, that is fine. A coin is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Just expect to lose about $900 if you resell it.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  12. theSharpGun

theSharpGun The King

Great deal! I don't about the scratches on the face though. I'd have to see the coin in person to assess whether the coin is an UNC details coin. In any case I think you did great at $10 especially considering how much silver is in that coin. Great job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. green18

It's not so much that people hate the series, as it is that most folks don't find the series attractive enough to collect each and every one piece the series consists of. Like 'Books' mentioned earlier, most collectors of classic commems are satisfied with one coin in the series.

non_cents likes this.
  14. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I would value the coin at about $25.

green18 likes this.
  15. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

About people "hating" the series, I think it is just that in general more recent commemoratives don't have the popularity of the older ones. The only ones I have are the cheaper ones, Columbian, BT Washington, BT Washington/GW Carver, Stone Mountain. Would like to get more, but they get expensive in most tolerable grades. When I check e-bay for commemoratives, these are the ones I see (along with the recent George Washington).

Draft saved Draft deleted