Book Score, Prieur, Syro-Phoenician Tetradrachms

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by John Anthony, Dec 18, 2015.

1. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

It's been on my library list for a while, got a great price on this one. Can't wait to memorize all the tets. :)

syro tets.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Great. This valuable book fits for a nice gift on Christmas. Cheers JA.

John Anthony likes this.
  4. John Anthony

Yes. I need to sound like less of an idiot on these coins. :woot:

7Calbrey likes this.
  5. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

John, it is a very good book. I especially like the way it has some history and discussion, illustrations of almost all of the over 1700 varieties, and the numbers of examples of each type. Anyone with books can be a better-informed buyer than someone without the right references. I'm a big fan of books.

6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Its on my want list too. Got Emmett earlier this year but this is the next one I would like to get.

7. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Looks like you might have a few coins that could be found in there!! Good score I too just scored a book.

Catalogue of the Coins of the Vandals, Ostrogoths and Lombards and of the Empires of Thessalonica, Nicaea and Trebizond in the British Museum

John Anthony, Mikey Zee and KIWITI like this.
  8. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

1,700 varieties? That's a lot to memorize. If I tried to do that I'd have to start dumping some of the more useless legal knowledge from my brain like the "rule against perpetuity," "fee tail" and "adverse possession." But then where would that leave me? Without useless obsolete legal terms and laws, and with a brain full of ancient tets, that's what! Not sure which one is better.

9. brassnautilus

brassnautilus Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reminder! Wanted this book for a while, forgot its name...

10. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Great find JA

I'm old school.....as big a fan of books as 'Val'

Can't wait to bend your ear and try your patience with endless questions:p:D

11. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

nice,

i got me :D
    Strack Vol. II Hadrian
    Strack, Paul L. UNTERSUCHUNGEN ZUR RÖMISCHEN REICHSPRÄGUNG DES ZWEITEN JAHRHUNDERTS. TEIL II

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
    Mikey Zee and John Anthony like this.
  12. Cyrrhus

Cyrrhus Well-Known Member

hahhahaah I just got the book today, from the UK me very happy, on page 2-3, there is the Hierapolis coin with Atagartis, that coin I have....what a day....

Mikey Zee and John Anthony like this.
  13. Cyrrhus

this one..John will also be hooked soon for Syrian Tets !! onces you got a few you are lost......
    I will make soon my top 10 of these !!! I got a lot of them....now............. IMG_0036.JPG

stevex6, Eng, Pishpash and 4 others like this.
  14. brassnautilus

just bought it too. turned out a guy 30 miles from here had a copy listed on ebay, bought it off him almost immediately :)

Mikey Zee and Jwt708 like this.
  15. Cyrrhus

what you all paid for the book, me 80 eur with shipping, new book.

16. John Anthony

17. brassnautilus

18. John Anthony

Well, this book arrived yesterday, and tonight my budget has already fallen victim to its influence. Here's a tetradrachm of Caracalla from Tyre. Although the bottom of the reverse is weakly-struck, the murex shell mint mark of Tyre is quite clear...

tyre.jpg

Prieur catalogs 8 eagle types for Caracalla from Tyre, two in a transitional style which do not resemble this coin at all, 3 with busts seen from the front, and 3 from the back. I'm not certain whether he's cataloging all known dies, or representative examples of particular styles. At any rate, my new coin appears to be a die match to 1551, p. 171. I wonder if any of you that also have the reference could weigh in and let me know what you think of my attribution.

19. Cyrrhus

Hello John,

I am impressed about the head, it is very good strike, indeed a little bit weak on the bottom probably the coins striker had a crazy IMG_0067.JPG IMG_0068.JPG day.
    The atribution is I think okay, the coin looks quite thin, normally they are heavy thick chunks.
    I was looking for more example in my own stuff, for the moment I could only find one ( got more).

20. John Anthony

Yours looks like 1549, laureate, cuirassed, seen from front. Prieur lists two engravers for this type, looks like yours is the second. So perhaps he is in fact cataloging all known dies.

21. Cyrrhus

I will check later, I got another stranger....give me a few moments...

Draft saved Draft deleted