Book Review - GRADING COINS BY PHOTOGRAPHS by Q David Bowers

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Hobo, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

The other day I picked up a copy of GRADING COINS BY PHOTOGRAPHS by Q. David Bowers (published 2008 by Whitman Publishing). This is a book that I think should be in the library of practically every coin collector.

Similar to its predecessor, Photograde, this 360-page spiral-bound book uses photographs to illustrate how to grade circulated US coins. (The Official American Numismatic Association Grading Standards for United States Coins 6th Edition is much more useful for grading Mint State and Proof coins. Bowers was a contributor for the ANA Grading Standards.) But GRADING COINS BY PHOTOGRAPHS goes well beyond where Photograde left off. (Interestingly Bowers also wrote the narrative text for Photograde.)

GRADING COINS BY PHOTOGRAPHS covers every series of US coins.

The photography is excellent - and in color. All coins are enlarged (except silver dollars which are shown actual size). Coin photographs are three sizes - 23 mm for small coins (e.g., Small Cents and 3cS), 30 mm for larger coins (e.g., Half Cents and Quarters), and 38.1 mm for the largest coins (e.g., Half Dollars and Double Eagles). These photos are far superior to those in the ANA Grading Standards and far, far, far superior to those in Photograde. Photos of a Mint State and Proof example of each coin are also included. (I could not find any credit for the photographer for this book. Whoever the photographer is does good work.)

The section for each coin includes each of the following:

History - A brief history of the coin or changes made from one variety to another

Striking and Sharpness - An outline of striking characteristics and pointers of where to look for strong or weak strike.

Availability - A quick guide to overall availability of the coins in various grades. For some series availability of certain dates and mintmarks is given.

Grading

Grading of Mint State coins is lumped into one all-inclusive paragraph. This is why the ANA Grading Standards is a much better resourse for grading Mint State and Proof coins.

Grading of circulated coins is broken down into the following grades:

AU-50, 53, 55, 58
    EF-40, 45
    VF-20,30
    F-12, 15
    VG-8, 10
    G-4, 6
    AG- 3

For each grade there is a paragraph describing the Obverse and Reverse characteristics as well as Obverse and Reverse photos. Explanations are given describing the differences between the numerical grades within some grades (e.g., the difference between AU-53 and AU-58).

Each coin section ends with a brief section on Proof coins. Again, ANA Grading Standards will be much more helpful in grading Proof coins.

This book also has six other chapters that have very, very good information:

Chapter 1 - The Importance of Grading

Covered in this chapter are:

Grading As A Key To Value - why grading is often the most important factor affecting the price of a coin.
    Prices And Grades In The Marketplace - points out how a small change in grade can cause a huge change in price
    Case Study: The 1884-CC Dollar - shows how rarity in a grade does not necessarily translate to an increase in value
    Your Secret To Success - don't automatically accept the grade on a slab but learn to grade a coin for yourself and look for opportunities

Chapter 2 - History Of Grading

Grading In The Early Days - the origins of coin grading
    Grading Techniques Develop - the first grading standards published by the ANA
    Into The 20th Century - proposed refinements to ANA grading standards in 1913
    Grading Evolves Further - Brown & Dunn, Photograde and Official ANA Grading Standards are printed
    Modern Alphanumerical Grading - the 70-point grading scale comes into general use
    Certification Services - ANACS, PCGS, NGC and others appear on the scene and change coin collecting forever

Chapter 3 - Expert Techniques In Grading

Getting Started - everyone can learn to grade coins if they learn grading techniques and apply that knowledge
    Pick A Favorite Series - learn to grade a series you like and are (or will become) familiar with
    Viewing Coins For Grading - illumination, magnification and technique
    A Helper Would Be Nice - find an experienced numismatist to help you along (e.g., a local coin dealer or coin club member)
    Practice Your Skills - practice makes perfect
    Everybody's Favorite Subject! - grading is subjective; experienced graders will not always agree on a grade

Chapter 4 - Understanding The Surfaces Of Coins

The Nature Of Metals - how different metals react with atmosphere, liquids, heat, chemicals, etc.
    Albums, Panels, and Folders - the history and evolution of these coin storage mediums
    Dipped And Cleaned Coins - the sad fact is that until recent times coin cleaning was encouraged
    Popular Procedures - conservation methods (if you must clean your coins)
    Restoring Cleaned Coins - not a "how to" but rather lists some of the methods used
    Worthwhile Conservation - a little advice on when conservation may be appropriate
    Summary - once cleaned you cannot unclean a coin

Chapter 5 - Smart Grading And Buying

The Risk Of Becoming Spoiled! - learn to spot quality (or lack of quality) within a grade
    Beyond The Grade - quality is affected by strike, planchet defects, die state, etc.
    Where The Money Is! - look for details (e.g., Full Bands, Full Steps, Full Head, Full Bell Lines, etc.)
    Where The Money Could Be For You ! - see above
    Bill Fivaz Comments - Fivaz discusses strike
    Adjustment Marks And Planchets - adjustment marks can lower the value of a coin
    High End And Low End - look for quality within a grade
    An Ideal Holder? - Bowers' pipe dream (what he would like to see on TPG's inserts)

Chapter 6 - How To Use This Book

As the title suggests, this chapter explains how this book is intended to be used.

This is a well-written book with a wealth of information for any coin collector. At $19.95 it is a steal. I highly recommend this book for anyone wanting to learn more about grading US coins.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. acanthite

acanthite ALIIS DIVES

Thanks for that review, Hobo.

4. Jesh

Jesh New Member

Picked this book up last week. It's great!

5. Catbert

Catbert Evil Cat

Hobo - another comprehensive book review! Thank you for taking the time to provide this to the forum. It does make me want to buy one for my reference library.

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

One question - what good is this book, if as 99% of the people on this forum will tell you, you cannot grade a coin based on a picture ?

If you can't grade a coin based on a picture of it - how can grade a coin based on a picture of another coin ?

7. 1909-S

1909-S New Member

Wonderful review that I completely disagree with. I'll take the 6th edition of the ANA book any day.

8. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

You're right, Doug... I don't think one can completely grade a coin from it's picture, nor can one completely grade a coin in hand by comparing to a picture.

But I think these pictures are very good for getting a details grade (what EAC guys call "sharpness ").

I think photos are very useful for that much. They're a good starting point.

Beyond that, coin-in-hand is required to spot hidden flaws and evaluate color and luster. You know... arriving at a final, "total" grade.

9. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

Have you seen the new book Hobo is talking about ?

10. coinblogger

coinblogger Senior Member

I just purchased the book yesterday. I have read the first 6 chapters. I liked the information contained in these chapters, but I don't know if the book really accomplishes what the title suggests.

The title of the book is Grading Coins by Photographs. The book gives some good information about grading coins, but I am not sure that it really helps you to grade coins by looking at photographs in particular. As far as I can tell, there is no real information pointing out differences between grading coins by hand versus grading by looking at photos.

Additionally, I really wish more information was given about evaluating Mint State coins and proof coins.

Despite this criticism, I definitely recommend the book to anyone looking to learn how to grade coins.

11. mralexanderb

mralexanderb Coin Collector

I enjoyed reading your book review. For the price, I can see adding this reference book to my coin library in the near future.

Bruce

12. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Guys I am not knocling the book, it's probably a very good book. I am just pointing out the obvious - playing devil's advocate if you will.

13. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

Photograde is probably the single most useful coin book I've ever read. It appears from Hobo's review that this book could have been organized better. I would prefer to have discussions and examples of what constitutes a full strike, full bands, full steps, full bell lines, etc. included in the sections that pertain to each coin series to which it applies. There also seems to be some "wasted" space in the chapters on cleaning, albums, TPGs etc. that seem to be mandatory inclusions in every coin book, perhaps as "filler." But I haven't read the book so hopefully it is better than I expect because I'll probably at least look at it.

14. coinblogger

coinblogger Senior Member

Cloudsweeper99,

You hit the nail on the head about the filler. I wish that coin books would make it easier to grade coins. Checklists and steps to run through when evaluating a coin. These steps should be specific with respect to each coin type. This would not be that difficult, but it seems that these coin writers never reduce the subject down to actionable tips.

But again, I am not trying to be too critical. It really is a good book, just not everything that I need to help me learn how to grade coins.

15. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

And thank you for voting for my thread, Isaiah.

Draft saved Draft deleted