Book on US gold coins

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Mr. Coin, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Mr. Coin

Mr. Coin Member

I am interested in potentially starting a gold coin collection. Likely type, but may consider more.

In the interest of buying the book before the coin, can anyone recommend a good volume on US gold coins?

I see that Q. David Bowers has written several. By chance is there one volume that covers all series?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

1916D10C likes this.
  4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I have a book in one of my drawers at work that I haven’t looked at in ten years. It is a book that breaks down counterfeit gold coin detection. I can’t say 100% it is still there but I am confident that it is. You are welcome to it if you want. Send me a PM with your address.

1916D10C likes this.
  5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

6. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I agree with the Garrett-Guth book. I have this one, and while the analysis of every date and mint of every type may seem like overkill for a type collector, it provides you with the insight you need to put together a type set that's thoughtfully selected, and maybe not quite as generic as most.

7. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

That book is amazing, of course. But you have to have seriously deep pockets to afford anything that book talks about! Definitely not for the beginner.

8. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

And for those who have "outgrown" that book, JD's coming out with the first of his multi-volume work on proof gold by die variety this year.

Draft saved Draft deleted