Book and Coin Pairs

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by rrdenarius, Aug 18, 2017.

1. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

One of my favorite coins is the RR denarius of L. Cassius Longinus. Today I saw a book with this coin on the cover: Politics in the Roman Republic, by Henrik Mouritsen, Cambridge University Press. The book outline is interesting, but the $52 price for a book that go several layers down in my to read pile will post pone it's purchase.
    book with coin.jpg

My coin:
    DSCN0029.JPG
    DSCN0031.JPG
    The coin shows voting in Rome and is one of three coins with this theme. (At least I think there are only 3: Cr-292/1, Cr-413/1 and Cr-428/2.)

L. Cassius Longinus (63 BC), Silver Denarius, 3.89g. Mint of Rome.
    Obv - Veiled and draped bust of Vesta left, S below chin, kylix behind.
    Rev - LONGIN III V , male figure standing left, dropping tablet inscribed V (Uti rogas) into cista
    This coin is interesting in that it appears to lack the personal and family names of the moneyer. However, appearances can be deceiving. On the obverse below the chin of Vesta is a control letter, and the only letters employed on this issue are C, A, S, I and L. If one collects enough coins of this moneyer, he can then spell the moneyer’s name in full. But why might a moneyer do this? In the case of L. Cassius Longinus it appears to relate to the recent exposure and suppression of the Catiline conspiracy. One of the most notorious members of the conspiracy whose task it was to burn down the city of Rome was one L. Cassius Longinus, but not the same person as our moneyer! $ 900
    Crawford 413/1
    Grueber Rome 3931
    Sydenham 935
    Bab, RSC Cassia 10

I did buy Harlan's book Roman Republican Moneyers and their Coins 63 - 49 BC in part because of this coin. The coin was been re-dated after analysis of the Mesagne Hoard.

Post your book and coin pair.

A book and coin pair of mine, 3 Graces:
    DSCN0255.JPG IMG_2550.JPG IMG_2551.JPG

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancientcoinguru

ancientcoinguru Well-Known Member

What a challenge! I could find only 1 coin I own that is depicted on the cover of a book...The History and Coinage of the Roman Imperators 49-27 BC. (but it is on the back cover).
    History and Coinage of RR.png

Marc Antony Octavian 3.png

4. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

These type bot appear on Failmerzger's cover. cnsglftr12.jpg IMG_2937.JPG
    bronze.jpg

This one appears in the book, a plate coin.
    IMG_2229.JPG

5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I believe I am CLOSE... but not quite the cigar on the back of Sear's book...

upload_2017-8-18_14-49-42.png
    upload_2017-8-18_14-50-20.png
    RImp Antony-Octavian AR Denarius 41 BCE 3.65g 18.7mm Military mint Syria star Craw 528/2a; Sear 1507

6. JGGonzalez

JGGonzalez Well-Known Member

Here is my favorite pairing: a book on the comet that appeared in 44 B.C. and a coin minted by Augustus to commemorate it 25 years later.

349999._UY630_SR1200,630_.jpg

And here are two denarii from my collection. The holed example is usually in a plastic case in my pocket as a good-luck piece. The second is being held on reserve for me by Steve at Incitatus Coins.

JGG Comet 1.jpg

JGG Comet 2.jpg

7. JGGonzalez

Here is an interesting example from fiction:

First, the book 666 by Jay Anson (Author of The Amityville Horror). In the book, a corroded sestertius from the mad emperor Nero. The protagonist finds the grungy old ancient in a bathtub while investigating a mysterious house. Later, he has a dream of the coin being heated red-hot and thrust into the mouth of a tortured prisoner. He then begins to have terrifying visions when he handles the coin. He later has it identified at a local coin show by an expert. The author gives a detailed description of the coin. Later, I found the same coin type also offered for sale by Steve at Incitatus Coins (and in similar condition - yikes!). It was a real tough decision between this sestertius and the comet denarius shown above. In the end the historical story behind the comet denarius won out.

download.jpg

Gg997obKP5Py4wFzBMc2Y3MxXz6Nn8.jpg

8. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

I have a book on Diaduminium that was written by baccus2, a member on another forum. I have it on a cd somewhere, I lost it from my PC when I lost my data :(
    These were plate coins which may explain their overcleaned appearance.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    and Dad
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

PLATE COIN:

upload_2017-8-18_16-35-37.png
    Campania AE Apollo-Achelous -275-250BCE PLATE COIN 3 KNOWN RARE SNG ANS 474 - Listed Potamikon pg 232 Plate 343 (Author @Nicholas Molinari )

Attached Files:

10. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

11. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

@chrsmat71 nice dolphin! I am sure there are plenty of these swimmers on CT coins.
    4.6.16 009.JPG
    18R.jpg

12. chrsmat71

13. chrsmat71

wrong thread! doh! Sorry! I was looking for my dolphin pics!

Here funny book pic to further waste your time.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  14. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Nice theme for a thread !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Q

15. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

Poor man´s gold:
    My brassy Sestertii and Dupondii posing with the Aurei on the back of Sear Vol.II:

P1000008.jpg

RAGNAROK, akeady, TIF and 12 others like this.
  16. JGGonzalez

Anson 666_.jpg

I posted earlier about this book. In it, a corroded ancient Roman sestertius is found in the bathtub of a mysterious house and yields horrifying visions of torture when held. A detailed description of the coin is given, so it was easy to identify it as the one struck to commemorate the military campaigns against the Parthians. Most examples are pretty pricey, but I was able to find a corroded and beaten-up one on eBay for $40. Here are pics of mine:

Nero JGG2.jpg
    Nero JGG1.jpg

I'm still waiting for it to reach me from England. I'll let you know if I get any horrifying visions the first time I touch it!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    RAGNAROK, Johndakerftw and Curtisimo like this.
  17. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

Since this book is in the mail to me...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RAGNAROK, Theodosius, dadams and 4 others like this.
  18. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I love the Folio Society books. I have a number of them. They are excellent quality and can be picked up used for very little money. I may have to look for a copy of this one.

Aethelred likes this.
  19. Aethelred

I have several Folio Society books, mostly ancient history titles (of course), but also a few Classics.

There is a Penguin edition of Lives of the Later Caesars, but it ends at Elagabalus while I believe the Folio goes to Numerian.

20. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Just bought The Lives of the Later Caesars -The Folio Society from Ebay. Looking forward to it.

Aethelred and Alegandron like this.
  21. Aethelred

Hard to go wrong I believe.

Orfew likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted