Bonhoff Catalogue

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TTerrier, Mar 3, 2022.

1. TTerrier

TTerrier Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

I'm afraid I don't have a coin for this thread but only a question - does anyone know if there is an online version of the Bonhoff medieval German coin catalogue? I've looked and can't find one but as my son tells me my computer skills are somewhat lacking.

I am interested in pfennigs from the 1000 - 1400 time frame and Bonhoff seems to be a common reference. It must have been quite the collection!

To make this legal I will add a suitable coin later today when I get home.

Thanks

Spaniard and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Can't help with your question, but I don't see any issues with your post. You asked a numismatic question. That's all you need IMO

Spaniard and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  4. TTerrier

TTerrier Well-Known Member

OK here is a bracteate from that time period:

Ludwig II von Bayern.jpg

Ludwig II von Bayern, c.1268-1294, 20mm 0.61 gm, crowned head between two rings, tower held in each hand

Berger 2682-2684 - this reference is available online and is a very extensive catalogue of bracteates.

As I looked for a coin to post I was reminded of how behind I am in properly cataloguing what I already have. The hohlpfennigs of the later centuries (of which I have a number but not yet properly recorded) are smaller and don't have the same design complexity of the bracteates but are also quite interesting.

5. ab initio

ab initio Well-Known Member

When the Bonhoff catalogue came out it looked like an important collection and although I did not collect these coins I placed it in my library. A few years later the company sent me a nice letter saying that they knew my interests were not medieval German coins and would I consider selling them the catalogue!
    I would be surprised if it is not scanned and available somewhere.

6. Dwarf

Dwarf Active Member

It is definitely not available online.
    The auction catalogues are somewhat pricey nowadays
    Regards
    Klaus

Draft saved Draft deleted