Featured Bohemond III the Prince of Antioch

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Cachecoins, Aug 7, 2020.

1. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

Seth77, that's as good an outline of the methodology as I've ever seen in one place! And thanks for making the table from Malloy public. That was a serious public service.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. +VGO.DVCKS

...Yeah, by some accounts, he was kind of the Slim Pickens 'Dr. Strangelove' character of the Frankish kingdom.

Cachecoins likes this.
  4. +VGO.DVCKS

Cachecoins likes this.
  5. Cachecoins

Cachecoins Historia Moneta

Very nice, thanks for the link.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  6. +VGO.DVCKS

...Cost no more! ...And Seth77 was giving me some serious competition on that front. You're cordially welcome.

7. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

I also have a Bohemond coin but not in as good shape:

[​IMG]
    Crusader State of Antioch, Bohemond III, AD 1163-1201
    Billon silver, 17 mm, 0.59 gm

:)

8. +VGO.DVCKS

Thanks for summoning the nerve to post this, willieboyd2. Fact is, I for one like this one a lot.
    However impressionistically, any subclass that has the chain mail on the profile going this far into the lower left field just strikes me as suggesting a later issue, c. Bohemond IV or later. Effectively, c. earlier 13th century. ...A phase of the whole history which is as inexhaustibly fascinating as it is commensurately underappreciated in its own right.
    Sorry I'm no more fluent with the types, especially after the still recent, pronounced good luck of falling into a copy of the 1994 Malloy. (...And extensive xeroxes from a copy of Metcalfe, the later edition. ...From a public university, which subsequently withdrew the book's availability via ILL.)

Cachecoins likes this.
  9. Cachecoins

Cachecoins Historia Moneta

Oh yeah, completely forgot that I minted my own version of this coin awhile back LOL!! I am away from home for a week and I only have the front of it on my phone.

FB_IMG_1596983650201.jpg

I changed BOAMVNDVS to DRVSVSREXM

I used to go by Drusus.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted