Featured Boars, sows, and pigs of the Roman Republic and Empire

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by DonnaML, Jun 17, 2020.

1. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

(If I wasn't going to risk calling a thread "Republican snakes," I certainly wasn't going to do the equivalent with boars and pigs, etc.!)

I received this coin today from CGB Numismatics in Paris, and am very pleased with it. Yes, the boar is off-center on the reverse and the tip of his snout is cut off a little, but most of it shows, and I've seen plenty of examples of this coin-type with the entire snout missing. (I've been looking for one to buy for a while, to add to my little collection of Roman Republican and other ancient coins with animal reverses.)

Roman Republic, Marcus Volteius, AR Denarius, 78 BCE (Crawford) or 75 BCE (Harlan). Obv. Head of young Hercules, wearing lion’s skin headdress, right / The Erymanthian boar running right; M•VOLTEI•M•F in exergue. Crawford 385/2; RSC I Volteia 2; BMCRR 3158, Sear RCV I 313 (ill.); Harlan, RRM I Ch. 12, pp. 62-79 at pp. 74-77 [Michael Harlan, Roman Republican Moneyers and their Coins, 81 BCE-64 BCE (2012)], Sydenham 775. 18.5 mm., 3.96 g., 7 h.*

Volteius (Hercules-Boar) New Obv. 1.jpg

Volteius (Hercules-Boar) New Rev. 1.jpg

* This coin, depicting Hercules and the Erymanthian boar -- one of five coins issued by M. Volteius as moneyer during that year -- relates, like the other four Volteius coins, to one of the five principal agonistic festivals which were celebrated annually at Rome, this one specifically to the Ludi Plebeii, held each year from 4 to 17 November. Hercules had a special relationship with the Circus Flaminius, which was where the Ludi Plebeii were held, and was near the temple of Hercules Magna Custos ad Circum (Hercules the Great Guardian at the Circus). See Harlan at p. 76 for a summary of the legend of Hercules capturing the Erymanthian boar alive, the fourth of the twelve labors of Hercules. (See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erymanthian_Boar .) Harlan points out that according to tradition, the tusks of the Erymanthian boar were preserved at the sanctuary of Apollo at Cumae -- perhaps establishing a (rather tenuous!) connection of the Erymanthian boar to the Circus Flaminius (where the Ludi Plebeii were held) and the nearby temple of Hercules Magna Custos ad Circum (which was supposedly built on the advice of the Sibyl of Cumae). This may have been the rationale for the portrayal of the Erymanthian boar on this coin rather than one of Hercules’s other labors.

Here are my other three Republican coins showing boars, sows, and other pigs, in reverse chronological order:

Roman Republic, C. Hosidius C.f. Geta, AR Denarius, 68 BCE. Obv. Draped bust of Diana R., wearing crown and stephane[?], with bow and quiver over shoulder, GETA before, III VIR behind/ Rev. Wild boar of Calydon* r., pierced in shoulder by spear and attacked by hound beneath, C. HOSIDI C F in exergue. RSC I Hosidia 1 (ill.), Crawford 407/2, Sear RCV I 346 (ill.), Harlan, RRM I Ch. 32 at pp. 189-194, BMCRR Rome 3388. 18 mm., 3.91 g.

To use Hosidia - Diana Obv 3.jpg

To use Hosidia- Wild Boar Rev 1.jpg

This one might show the dog a little better:

(To use) Hosidia Wild Boar R1.jpg

* See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calydonian_Boar for the story of the wild boar of Calydon, best known from Ovid's Metamorphoses. See also this painting by Rubens of the Calydonian Boar Hunt, at the Getty. http://www.getty.edu/art/collection...calydonian-boar-hunt-flemish-about-1611-1612/.

Roman Republic, C. Sulpicius C.f. Galba, AR Serrate Denarius, 106 BCE. Obv. Jugate heads of Dei Penates left, D•P•P [Dei Penates Publici] beneath heads / Rev. Two soldiers facing each other, holding spears and pointing at sow lying down between them; S above; in exergue: C•SVL•ICI•C•F. [Indication of undertype on right of reverse, causing loss of detail.] RSC I Sulpicia 1, Crawford 312/1, Sydenham 572, BMCRR Rome 1324, Sear RCV I 189 (ill.) [See Sear RCV I at p. 108: “Crawford’s interpretation of this interesting type seems the most convincing: it refers to Aeneas’ [landing at and founding of] Lavinium (home of the Sulpicia gens) with the Penates, and the subsequent miracle of the great white sow [giving birth to 30 piglets], which foretold the founding of Alba Longa,” where the soil was more fertile, 30 years later.] (Ex. Madroosi Collection).

Sulpicius Galba - Sow 2.jpg

Detail sulpicius galba.jpg

Roman Republic, Ti. Veturius, AR Denarius 137 BCE. Obv. Helmeted head of Mars right, TI. VET (monogrammed) and X behind head. / Rev. Youth holding pig, kneeling left, head right, between two soldiers who touch the pig with their swords, ROMA above. RSC I Veturia 1, Crawford 234/1, Sydenham 527, Sear RCV I 111 (ill.), BMCRR Italy 550. 18 mm., 3.8 g. [First Republican denarius to have head of anyone other than Roma on obverse.]

Ti. Veturius - pig Obv. 1.jpg

Ti. Veturius - pig Rev 1.jpg

I'm afraid that I have no Roman Imperial or Provincial coins depicting pigs of any kind. If anyone has such coins -- I know they exist for Trajan, plus there's the rare Gallienus "zoo" coin with a boar -- or any "pig" coins of their own from the Republic, I'd love to see them. (I know that there are also plenty of ancient Greek coins with boars, because people have often posted them -- like the obols from Kyzikos, Mysia with the foreparts of a boar on one side and a lion on the other. I'd like to own one of those myself someday!)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Interesting collection. I hadn't thought about pigs much on ancients. Available, yes, but not overly common.

For animals, I would have four groups:

Common: Eagle, horses, lions, elephants, dolphins, "fish"
    Scarcer: Pigs/boar, camel, crabs, mollusks, dogs
    Rare: Hippos, Ostrich,
    Very Rare: Apes, (1 type), rhino (2 types)
    Extinct: Bear

It could be fun to fill the rest of this list in, (of animals, not mythological creatures).

DonnaML and Marsyas Mike like this.
  4. DonnaML

You could start a separate thread on that subject, so as not to sidetrack this one too quickly! But I will point out that you forgot snakes and bulls, which I think fall into the common category. And I don't think elephants are anywhere near as common as eagles, horses, bulls, lions, etc. Also, for $3.99, you can buy the Kindle edition of the book Ancient Animals and their Coins, by Jasper Burns. See https://www.amazon.com/Ancient-Animals-Their-Coins-Jasper-ebook/dp/B0775X17JS. The photos are in black and white, but it's still quite interesting.

5. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

VespDenSowPiglets.jpg
    Vespasian. 69-79 AD. AR Denarius (19mm; 3.25 gm; 5h). Rome mint. Struck 77-78 AD. Obv: Laureate head right. Rev: Sow standing left with three piglets. RIC II 982; RSC 213

6. DonnaML

Great coin -- I didn't know about this one!

7. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Titus as Caesar issued this type too.

V986.jpg
    Titus as Caesar
    AR Denarius, 3.20g
    Rome Mint, 77-78 AD
    Obv: T CAESAR VESPASIANVS; Head of Titus, laureate, bearded, r.
    Rev: IMP XIII in ex. Sow l., with three young
    RIC 986 (C). BMC 227. RSC 104. BNC 203.
    Acquired from Ancient Imports, October 2007.

8. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Oink got a few!
    You've already recently seen my rare Gallienus piggie, so here are some Greek stinks
    20190327_123825_1C7E325A-40B6-4209-840E-B00CB9C74183-469-0000005F4B98DE79.png 20190326_151542_D2F33993-559D-413D-9211-4E0F7AD9BF97-406-000000C5483451CA.png

You know that intro got me chucking, but I love CT to much to get political on here. Though I did find a pretty funny meme that tows the line and fits the theme...
    8decb83fbcb5891b4d336522b3781b82.jpg

9. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

@DonnaML......Lovely coins and I particularly like the serrate Denarius reverse!
    And sorry I've just realised there are NO drifts in my collection...!
    How can that happen!?

DonnaML likes this.
  10. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

Here are a couple of bronzes with sow symbols - as & quadrans (Cr 121/3 & /6 of ca. 206-195 BC):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I almost felt mean eating this little piggy :D From Betty's Tea Rooms in Harrogate:
    IMG_20170409_211007_351.jpg

My boar has lost his snout
    [​IMG]

Oink, oink,
    Aidan.

11. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Very nice menagerie, @DonnaML ... I like them ALL but I am interested in the Sepulcius Galba... I don't have that one, and it looks great!

upload_2020-6-17_18-2-59.png
    RR Victoriatus 206-195 BCE AR 16-5mm 2-61g Jupiter r Victory crowning trophy sow r in ex ROMA Syd 253 Russo RBW 554 Cr 121-1

upload_2020-6-17_18-3-58.png
    RR Veturius 137 BCE AR Den Mars X Oath Scene pig S 111 Cr 234-1

upload_2020-6-17_18-8-18.png
    RR M Volteius Mf AR Denarius 78 BCE 18mm 3.96g Hd Hercules R lion skin headdress - Erymanthian boar Cr 385-2 ex SteveX6

upload_2020-6-17_18-15-14.png
    RR C Hosidius C F Geta 68 BCE Diana bow quiver Boar Hound spear Sear 346 Craw 407-2

12. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Donna, I forgot to mention what absolutely gorgeous coins those are!

DonnaML likes this.
  13. DonnaML

Thank you!

14. DonnaML

I want to apologize for responding so harshly. It was a knee-jerk reaction, and I know that you had no intention of derailing the thread.

I didn't realize that there are no ancient coins with bears on them. Hard to believe!

Besides adding snakes and bulls/oxen/cows to the most common category, I think wolves -- specifically the famous she-wolf -- are very common too. And other hooved animals besides cattle have to fit in somewhere, probably just below the top category -- all the does, stags, antelopes, gazelles, elk, etc. And then there are the sheep and goats, which are less common. Plus: panthers (really leopards, and not all that common) and tigers/tigresses (I'm not aware of any other than Gallienus's.) Hippos and rhinos are rare too.

Roman Collector likes this.
  15. DonnaML

I'm shocked. Shocked! I thought you had just about every Roman Republican coin! In fact, I could have sworn you once posted a Sulpicius Galba. But I guess it must have been someone else.

Alegandron likes this.
  16. DonnaML

I love your Hosidius. You can really see how deeply embedded the spear is in the boar's back. And the hound looks like its head is buried in the boar's stomach!

17. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

Thanks - yes, he's fairly impaled! There's an Augustus type of the moneyer Durmius (i8 BC, I think) with the same boar, minus the hound.

This is the obverse - yours is much better-centred - mine is on a small thick flan which didn't leave enough room for everything to fit.

[​IMG]

I need the Sow victoriatus @Alegandron has!

ATB,
    Aidan.

18. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Volodya and DonnaML like this.
  19. DonnaML

20. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

lol, thank you. I lucked into it. And now, I understand it is a difficult device to get. I captured it because one of my daughters loves pigs, having hundreds of statuettes. Unfortunately for her, she does not have this... although she wants it! She has 4 of my grandkids... so it may pass to her.

DonnaML and akeady like this.
  21. DonnaML

Always frustrating when one side is so great and the other isn't. Decisions!

Draft saved Draft deleted