Blytheville Air Force Base Tokens

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Jwt708, May 30, 2019.

1. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Below is my Blytheville Air Force Base token collection. Blytheville AFB was created in 1942 as a location for pilot training, originally named Blytheville Army Airfield. With the end of the war the base was closed, only to be reopened 15 July 1955 as a Strategic Air Command (SAC) base which was home to B-57 and B-52 bombers, KC-97 and KC-135 refuelers, and T-33 and T-37 fighters. The bomber/refueler combinations prevalent at so many SAC bases was part of the nuclear strategy and our ability to keep nuclear bombers airborne at all times. Crews from Blytheville AFB supported operations in Vietnam, notably Linebacker II and later Operation Desert Storm. Interesting to note that the locals became concerned of the base's future and were able to get it renamed to Eaker AFB in 1988 in commemoration of General Ira Eaker. Ultimately with the collapse of the Soviet Union and end of the Cold War Eaker AFB was selected for closure under the 1991 Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC). In March of 1992 the aircraft were gone and the base was deactivated 15 December 1992.

AR20 Blytheville AFB $1.jpg
    Blytheville Air Force Base, Arkansas
    Cunningham Vol 1, pg. 32, AR20; aluminum, Cunningham has "26mm*" which indicates further information is needed. This token is much larger than 26mm, more like 36mm but I don't have my calipers.

AR30c Blytheville AFB 25c.jpg
    Cunningham Vol 1, pg. 32, AR30c; brass, 28mm
    You've all seen this token before, but thought I would post again.

AR30j Blytheville AFB $1.jpg
    Cunningham Vol 1, pg. 32, AR30j; aluminum, Cunningham has "34mm*". I do not have my calipers to verify, but it looks about right.

AR70f Blytheville AFB $1.jpg
    Cunningham Vol 1, pg. 33, AR70f; aluminum, 34mm

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Some of the aircraft that called Blytheville AFB home:

B-57b-ma-52-1560-71lbs-laon-1957.jpg
    B-57

KC97.jpg
    KC-97

kc-135a refueling b-52g.jpg
    KC-135A refueling a B-52G. This image is extra interesting because these are the models and what the B-52s and KC-135s would have looked like, performing their SAC mission.

T-33.JPG
    T-33

T-37.jpg
    The above aircraft is a A-37. "T" is Trainer and "A" is Attack. I thought this aircraft looked really cool with the camouflage and weapons armed. Likely the ones at Blytheville AFB had a different paint scheme.

I hope you all enjoyed my tokens and the little bit of Air Force history from Blytheville Air Force Base. Post or share anything you feel like!

4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Great Post!

[I still got them 'challenge coins' you sent me some time back. They reside in a very special place in my collection]

Jwt708 likes this.
  5. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I'm glad to hear it!

6. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Great stuff @Jwt708. I also have the token that you sent me when I was deployed out in DJ. :) Glad to see you are still rollin' with these. Cool piece of military history!

Jwt708 and green18 like this.
  7. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Thanks man! I've been after them on and off but haven't been keeping up with the photos so now I have hundreds to shoot! Thinking about it is overwhelming.

What I prefer to do is make posts like this where I talk a little about the base or unit with some interesting facts or images but I have a long way to go. Maybe in 100 years these relics of the Cold War era will be all the rage.;)

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    furryfrog02 likes this.
  8. furryfrog02

I am in the same boat as you but with my pogs when it comes to taking pictures. I don't even like to think about it...lol

9. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Ya...once I'm caught up on my tokens, and my ancients I'll get to the POGs.

10. furryfrog02

Hahahaha, Well that'll never happen :p

11. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Thanks Jwt708. It's fitting that Blytheville hosted the KC-97. The Cold War began with the B-29 and the Soviet TU-4 which they copied from the B-29. The KC-97's were converted B-29's. And of course, the cold war ended with the B-52, a magnificent aircraft. :)

Last edited: May 31, 2019
    Jwt708 likes this.
  12. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

If you like the B-52 just wait until I get around to Dyess, you're in for a treat.

longnine009 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted