Blue toning on silver coin...natural?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Mark Metzger, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Mark Metzger

Mark Metzger Well-Known Member

I am considering purchasing the coin below and was wondering about the toning. Would you say this is natural or artificial. I'm also a touch skeptical about the lighting...I once purchased a similarly blueish Morgan dollar only to receive it and see it was much much darker. It was returned.
    Thanks!
    Screenshot_20180629-100407.png Screenshot_20180629-100439.png

CaptainMK, Chris B and Paul M. like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

I've had the same thing happen with coins I've bought, in natural lighting there's a good chance that coin will be very dark.

Paul M. likes this.
  4. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Yes, it's likely quite dark. I've seen the word "anthracite" used as a color description. I actually like this piece, dark or not.

lordmarcovan and Paul M. like this.
  5. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

The halos around some letters lead me to believe it toned this way from being in an album, but not doused in chemicals. Not sure if that answers your question about natural toning though.

6. Mark Metzger

Mark Metzger Well-Known Member

I like it a lot too...it is a very low mintage and is in pretty nice shape from what I can see underneath the darkness.

7. serafino

The problem with coins like that is when you put them in a flip all you see is a dark circle with little detail, unless you flash a strong light on them.

spoon likes this.
  8. V. Kurt Bellman

Soooo, keep one of those bright little flashlights in your mouth while you look at it. :)

9. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

It is pretty, but it seems extremely colorful for what looks like a slightly circulated coin. What bothers me , is I am very uncertain about the toning due to the comparison of for example the 'E' s ( open letters) are stained/colored between the arms, but the 'O's and 'D' ( closed letters are not as stained/colored , as if a solution had thinly been applied to elicit a chemical coloration. JMHO. Jim

lordmarcovan likes this.
  10. serafino

I've seen that same type of toning on old Sterling Silverware that has tarnished.

11. V. Kurt Bellman

Not a surprise, it's Sterling.

Nathan401 and Mark Metzger like this.
  12. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

We get blue like that on silver Roosevelt Dimes, and their Proof counterparts. Sometimes.

13. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Looks natural to me. Could be heat-induced, though I don't mean to suggest that heat was deliberately applied. Looks like some pieces I found in an old attic hoard once. Attics can get extremely hot and humid in our steamy summers here, and if the coins were stored in old paper envelopes, toning can - and often does - result, ranging from attractive rainbows to matte black.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  14. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

A bit off the track for the OP but I do have a very personal experience with the 'blue' as it was my very own self that did it. Blue on other metals I've seen too, but this is just an example of what LordM was talking about. That said, the photos look a tad juiced, and I would expect a little different look in hand, or at least only when the coin is tilted 'just so'.

This is a coin I (REALLY!!!) inadvertently left on a windowsill for about 2 years-ish. It's relatively common and has enough hits it was not worth all that much and I'd set it down while rearranging my silver duplicates box.

The sill is from a window in an uninsulated room over a former porch (now a sunroom) so it gets quite hot/cold with the seasons. The house was built in 1927 so who knows what kind of paint it was too. Unfortunately I can't remember which side was down, I suspect it was the hoo bird side. combo.jpg

So, not an attempt to make 'pretty toning'...not exactly artificial, but perhaps a confluence of events for some accelerated natural toning. And in trying to describe it with so many words I feel as though we are splitting hairs. I didn't do anything to it with chemicals, just left it out in an environment where this happened. OTH how is this different than a light baking in an oven with a reactive surface (assuming it was actually the sunburst side down)? I guess the answer is only if it's market acceptable.

Now this next coin was found acceptable by PCGS.

The obverse (dragon) side has a blue undertone. Not as bright a blue as my window sill coin of course but I have a couple other silver Japanese coins that have the reverse color scheme...in slabs by both companies.

combo f1f1f1.jpg

Having lived near Tokyo for several years I can tell you it gets very hot and humid, and the homes are generally not insulated like the general US population is accustomed to. Not saying I can tell you where this coin aged, but I'm sure it was experiencing much more temperature fluctuation and humidity than average.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    lordmarcovan and Browns Fan like this.
  15. carpman98

carpman98 Active Member

With reference to the 1914 BWA coin, I have seen this type of coloring on silver coins that have been cleaned/polished and have then re-toned after the procedure. On the obverse behind the king's head, there appear to be polishing hairlines from rubbing, about 15 degrees off the vertical, and if this coin was to be dipped, these hairlines would become very visible and detracting. This coin has seen some circulation and exhibits some wear on the band of the crown, the cheek and George's mustache. An EF silver coin in its original state, generally would not tone naturally this way, unless it has been cleaned of all surface residue.

lordmarcovan and serafino like this.
  16. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

+1
    Was thinking the same - cleaned/retoned

17. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Blue toning can be natural, but the OP's coin is artificially toned.

18. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

If it toned that way in an album, isn't usually 1 side more toned than the other?
    I like the coin very much but it's such strong toning all over, it looks AT.

19. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

It depends on what kind of album we're talking about.

Usually, however, "album" toning is heaviest at the rims (where it was in contact with the page) and lightest at the center. The toning displayed on the OP's coin does not even closely resemble what I would call typical album toning.

serafino likes this.
  20. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

It has been stored in something for lifetime, and back in its day it was most likely paper. And not the Gluten-free kind.

21. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Yes. As I think I mentioned in an earlier post, I've seen this look on coins stored in old paper envelopes (mailing envelopes, not Kraft paper coin envelopes) over a period of several decades in a hot attic. It's not the same toning pattern one sees from old albums.

I can't definitively rule out AT (I really don't know), but I'm not so quick to condemn it as such.

The possibility of an old cleaning before it got put away in an envelope (or whatever) is not implausible to me. It could be long term secondary toning. But I find it acceptable, whatever the case may be.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    alurid likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted