Blue Roll-Ender Toned Morgan

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by toned_morgan, Oct 18, 2018.

1. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

How much do you guys think this coin is worth. I spotted it on eBay and I absolutely love it to pieces, and I wanted to know what the maximum would be to pay for this coin. I don't have as much experience pricing toned coins, so I would like to have your knowledge help me. Thanks!

Capture d’écran 2018-10-18 à 22.19.08.png Capture d’écran 2018-10-18 à 22.19.14.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I’m definitely a Morgan guy, but toners aren’t my deal. Stick around and some knowledgeable folks are bound to check in.

4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

pretty but not sure what it is worth.

5. toned_morgan

I just checked on it this morning, and in one day it has jumped from $0.01 to $100 with 20 bids! It has textile toning, some strong blues, and a neat pattern that would get CAC so I see where they're going with the $100 bids.

6. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

I'm not experienced in toned Morgans but you use the terms "roll-ender" and then in your #4 comment, "textile toning." I question that the coin was at the end of a roll with a pattern on both sides, and if what I think you are referring to as "textile toning" isn't a finger print I'm not sure what it is. Could you enlighten me?
    With the rim damage in two places and 20 million made, I wouldn't pay more than $60.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    spirityoda likes this.
  7. toned_morgan

So first it looks like a roll-ender because both sides have separated halves that look a lot like that is where the flaps on the end of a roll, and you are also probably right on saying it a fingerprint.

8. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Roll enders only have toning on the face exposed to the paper. The other side is usually blast white.

This coin looks like it was placed in a cardboard holder that secured the coin with a strip. It's not an uncommon look. The obverse pattern is from a fingerprint, not textile.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    toned_morgan and spirityoda like this.
  9. ddddd

ddddd Member

I just looked through that seller’s other items plus prior sales and every single Morgan was a raw AT coin. I’m wondering if this one had a little help too? It could have had some toning and then was gased to add more color. It’s certainly a bit unusual. The reverse looks like cardboard toning as @Jaelus mentioned. The obverse looks unusual.

I see it’s already over $100 with six days to go. A few people must really like it and I could see this one bid up to over $200 (I don’t value it anywhere near that, but others might).

10. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

If you're interested in such coins as well as looking to purchase them, it would behoove you to learn as much as possible before moving forward. I do believe I've already shared this once, but perhaps you missed it....

http://www.jhonecash.com/research/

It's a great site with lots of good info. Unfortunately, it's only helpful to those actually willing to use it.

ddddd likes this.
  11. toned_morgan

Why unfortunately?

12. BooksB4Coins

Well, it's because as excellent as the site is it simply doesn't have the ability to magically educate those refusing to invest the necessary time/effort into learning from it.

13. toned_morgan

True. They could try making advertisements.

14. BooksB4Coins

Advertising for business is one thing, but doing so to try to help those refusing to do for themselves? Probably not the wisest use of business funds imo.

Anyway, the greater point was that if you're truly interested in such coins, I hope you're willing to invest your time into learning before buying. In the long run you'll be happy you did. Good luck!

15. toned_morgan

16. BooksB4Coins

Seriously? Come on, man... context is everything. The deflective nonsense is growing old. This was clearly addressed in my previous post.

17. ddddd

ddddd Member

Agreed @BooksB4Coins ; it might be a lost cause :facepalm:
    Plus if one takes a look at that website, they haven't listed anything for sale since 2014. I believe the person that ran that website is basically out of the coin market (they just keep the website for information and maybe they get some revenue from ads).

18. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Reminds me of our holiday silver before we give it a polish. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted