Blue Ridge Incuse Doubling?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by dchjr, May 4, 2016.

1. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

Is this a DD or something else that causes the doubling on the incused lettering?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Hmmmm, I'm not an expert. But this could be getting close to a double die. I've seen a lot of machine doubling (shelf like and die deterioration). I think yours is looking good. From where I sit, I'm thinking nice find! How does the rest of the coin look? Let's wait for other to chime in with their opinions.

I hate going first!

4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

5. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

I didn't see anything beyond the L in EPU or anything on the other numbers.

6. Stoneman2

Stoneman2 New Member

Your coin has a fantastic look but it is MD'ed . When an incuse design element is doubled on the die it will become smaller than normal. Look at the letters of EPU in this link and note how small and spindly they are. This is how incuse letters will tend to look on a coin struck with a doubled die.
    http://varietyvista.com/01e LC Doubled Dies Vol 5/2011PDDR001 cent.htm

Paul M. likes this.
  7. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link. I see the 2015 picture and now understand that the die bounce can cause the enlarged 5, but the explanation a few threads below describe the Hub Doubling to be smaller/narrower than the regular letter/number. This looks like what happened on the E. The chances to have both next to each other is probably unlikely, so it could be MD also. But...

8. Stoneman2

Stoneman2 New Member

The tops of the affected letters and numbers do look interesting.
    The modern era doubled dies that I am aware of that are strong enough to show on the design elements at the rim also show substantial doubling as the center is approched. Do you see this on your coin. Also I am not sure what die deterioration will look like on incuse letters

9. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

Here is a picture of the center. I don't see anything.

Attached Files:

10. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Wow , those letters are incused ????? Sure look raised to me , though I know this happens in some pics . Still an interesting coin .

Draft saved Draft deleted