Blue/Green 5$ bill.

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by GoodSeanHunting, Oct 19, 2018.

1. GoodSeanHunting

GoodSeanHunting New Member

My mother works at a gas station and she’s been a collector of star notes and all kinds of misc. coins/bills. So when something comes a crossed the counter she usually trades it out. She came across this 5$ bill and can’t find what it is or why it’s different. So I’m hoping someone here would be able to enlighten me. Thanks!

She said she’s never seen one with a green and blue seal or something along those lines.
    775C43C1-0857-41E6-AE81-ED1EA5CB5061.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Chemically or environmentally altered. Post BEP.

4. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Environmental exposure, not an error. The green ink can change colors when exposed certain chemicals.

5. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

It's a normal note with a weird chemical change as they said. However if your mom finds one like this and the date (above DO in "DOLLARS") is an early date, it is a silver certificate. Also, under the portrait it will say something about being exchangeable for silver because at the time you could cash these in for silver if the people thought the stock prices would go down. Those notes are keepers. If the seal is yellow or red, it is also a keeper. Always look at the date as well because they made green seal notes in the 20's and 30's, which are also definite keepers because of the age.

George McClellan likes this.
  6. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Welcome to Coin Talk. This is from http://www.answers.com/Q/What_is_value_of_a_2003_US_5_dollar_bill_with_no_green_treasury_seal

What is the value of a 2003 A US 5 dollar bill with a blue seal?
    The last $5 bills with blue seals were silver certificates printedin the 1953 series. All $5 bills dated 1969 and later aregreen-seal Federal Reserve Notes. If your bill says Federal Reserve Note across the top banner, it'spossible that its seal color was affected by some kind of chemicalexposure. For example, the anti-yellowing agents in some strongdetergents have been known to affect some of the yellow componentin the green ink used to print the seal and serial numbers.

7. GoodSeanHunting

So you think it’s chemical? I don’t know anything about this, but the serial numbers are blue, with a green seal right under it, figure if the serial on the left being so close to the L12 and green seal it would’ve maybe changed the seal as well? Also, on a Norma 5$ bill, the left seal is black. And the right one is green?

8. Oldhoopster

It's Environmental, most likely chemical. You are correct the seal on the left should be black as well as the L12. They are green on your note.

If you think it through, there is no way this could be printed by the BEP. They would have to have made a mistake on 2 separate printing steps. Plus, they don't use Blue Ink.

9. GoodSeanHunting

So it’s counterfeit? Sorry if I sound incompetent. I know nothing about money.

10. Oldhoopster

Not counterfeit, just damaged. Spend it. It's still worth $5

11. GoodSeanHunting

It’s my moms. Just looking into for her is all. She’ll probably hold on to it for it being unique.

12. Oldhoopster

Take it to the bank, get 10 rolls of cents and see how many diff dates and mintmarks you can find. Then you'll have the start of of a collection.

A damaged $5 bill will never have any collector value and it will lose value to inflation over time

Draft saved Draft deleted