Blood stained currency

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by John KENT, Feb 15, 2019.

1. John KENT

John KENT Member

Hey there! Just a quick note to see if there are any currency collectors that have blood stained currency in their collection? I'm looking for some good examples with or without the back story, that I can bring into public schools to try and get kids interested in numismatics. Last month, I was doing a presentation to some 7th graders using Japanese invasion currency and one of the students noticed a stain on the currency and thought it was cool, since we were also talking about atrocities that were committed in the Philippines during WW2. The blood stained currency made quite an impression, and the students actually felt connected to WW2 in a new way! Putting tangible evidence into the students hands helps them connect to the people that used the currency, and that's inspiring me to find more and better examples. I've also brought in short snorter bills and concentration camp currency, and I welcome other ideas that put history into students hands and connects them with former generations, and inspires students to learn more!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    thomas mozzillo likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

While I applaud your efforts to attract YN's to the hobby, this is not the proper forum for any sort of solicitation. You should be using one of the B/S/T forums.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong. @GDJMSP ? @desertgem ?

Chris

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2019
  4. John KENT

John KENT Member

I edited the post to remove solicitation! I just found a nice blood stained confederate note on an auction site.

Attached Files:

• note.JPG
      note.JPG
      File size:
      34.5 KB
      Views:
  5. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I imagine there must be some movie prop money or Mafia hit notes out there . . .

wxcoin likes this.
  6. John KENT

John KENT Member

7. lettow

lettow Senior Member

I have collected military currency for almost thirty years. I have seen lots of notes with stains, even red stains. I have always been suspicious of claims of blood stained currency as there is no way to prove a stain was caused by blood versus some other source without chemical analysis.

That having been said, I applaud your efforts. I have done similar programs in schools but the teachers I did them for have all left the profession or the schools no longer allow guest speakers.

SteveInTampa, John KENT and Kasia like this.
  8. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

I would have to question the authenticity, as it would be almost, if not
    Impossible to validate that claim, heck i could take a note and smear
    my own blood on it and call it a wartime stain..LOL

Stevearino likes this.
  9. John KENT

John KENT Member

That's a good point, except it was the students themselves that "found" the stain, and the students "decided" that is was a blood stain. Is their imagination running wild? Probably! Out of all the notes/currency I showed them, the one with a stain on the back was the most popular and memorable. The next time I go to the school, I will have some new notes to show, and let their imaginations create the back stories.

thomas mozzillo likes this.
  10. mpcusa

I guess for training purposes, to what it might look like ?

11. John KENT

John KENT Member

Here's a photo of the stained confederate note I bought today, and I will have to look for the "Japanese Government" invasion currency note that I brought into the school, and post later on..

Attached Files:

• note.JPG
      note.JPG
      File size:
      34.5 KB
      Views:
  12. mpcusa

Hope you didnt pay to much ? you can blood stain anything, or alter its
    appearance to make it look more interesting or valuable.

13. John KENT

John KENT Member

For the Japanese invasion currency I probably paid .50 cents for the note. For the confederate $20 bill I paid $25. I'm going to a Greater Chicago Coin/Currency show on Thursday to search their low cost currency bins. May also go back on Saturday with some kids, to do the same.

14. George McClellan

George McClellan Active Member

15. Sullysullinburg

Sullysullinburg Well-Known Member

Blood would turn brown with time right? Because of the iron in it? I’m guessing here but that could help tell age.

Stevearino likes this.
  16. mpcusa

As long as the cost isnt to outrageous, i think you will be ok :)

17. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

I spill coffee on stuff all the time. By sight I don't think one can tell old blood from old coffee. As long as the kids decided it was blood, there's probably no harm. I think younger generations can and should learn more about history, and using coins/currency could spark an interest in both history and numismatics. You go, guy!

How about occupation currency/coins? Coinage of Germany-occupied Norway in the early 1940s is often reasonably priced, especially the corroded examples.

Steve

18. mpcusa

I think you have to keep things in perspective here, as long as pennies are
    spent and not dollars, i think you will be ok :)

19. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Sheesh! I was having internet problems and my post above was tripled. Sorry about that. Couldn't find a way to remove two of them, so I reported them.

Steve

20. mpcusa

It happens to the best of us..LOL

Stevearino likes this.
  21. mpcusa

It happens to the best of us..LOL

Draft saved Draft deleted