Bleeding ink on note edges

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Jack77, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Jack77

Jack77 Member

Why do some banks mark currency bundles with ink? I went to my credit union to get a bunch of new $5's to check for my collection. Each note was new with consecutive serial numbers, (great). Each note also had a small red edge that bled down the side of the note about a quarter of an inch, (not great). Why do the banks need to mark each bundle with ink? I'm finding it very difficult to fine notes without such ink marks. Most of my circulated currency is with colored edge marks. Maybe I need to change banks or credit unions. What do you think?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

This is often done to currency that's going to be loaded into an ATM. One strap will be marked at the left side, the next at the right side, and so on. That way, the next time they audit the machine, it's easy to count how many bills are still in it--each stripe is 100 bills, and only the last strap that's been partially paid out has to be hand-counted.

4. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

that certainly would be annoying! all those notes, destroyed. I would find a different bank from which to 'buy' from, and not use this particular bank. It would break my heart to see a radar or start or some other collectible marked with that red ink!

5. TheTrekhippy

TheTrekhippy New Member

Thank you for that ver clear explanation Numbers. It doesn't sound like a 'whole bank' problem, just the machines. I'd try going inside to the person, telling them what your doing, you would surely be able to get unmarked notes.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted