Blank Strike Nickel?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Wanderingbark116, May 26, 2019.

1. Wanderingbark116

Wanderingbark116 Active Member

20190525_104011.jpg 20190524_235127.jpg 20190525_085846.jpg 20190525_073831.jpg 20190525_105725.jpg Spent 2 days researching this 2011 P nickel with a beveled edge. Learned about blanks/ planchets and wondering if this could be struck on a blank? Beveled edge goes all the way around both sides, no evidence of PMD/ moved metal. Weight is 5 grams. Everything totally nice and normal except for this edge to the rim! What do you all think??

Tlberg, Heavymetal and alurid like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

The upraised rim is applied before the strike. I can see the raised rim so it was not struck on a blank with no upraised rim. It is interesting though what you have pointed out.

4. Wanderingbark116

The upraised rim isn't there, I looked it up and that raised part is part of the die design. It goes from completely flat to beveled and is almost sharp edged

5. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

6. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

The Bevel on the edge is caused by the upset mill. The edge is usually reformed into a square shaped edge as the dies push metal outward against the collar die in the coin press. I suspect there are several factor involved as to why this does not occur 100% of the time. I have seen quite a few cents with the same shaped edge.

Wanderingbark116 likes this.
  7. Wanderingbark116

Yes! Me too! And I was looking through my nickels last night to compare a couple had a bit of the bevel left on one side or the other but not both. It's very interesting!

8. Wanderingbark116

And I thought the upset mill softened edges out a bit. This little guy is sharp 20190525_104026.jpg

9. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

As others have indicated, the strike wasn't strong enough to completely obliterate the original beveled junction between the planchet's proto-rim and edge.

10. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

The upset mill does do that. Blanks can have a very sharp edge on the their shear side. The edge of your coin could show faint signs of the cut and shear line.

Mernskeeter and Wanderingbark116 like this.
  11. Wanderingbark116

Thank you! I'm new to this and didn't know about the proto-rim yet!

12. Wanderingbark116

Is it still an error or just an occurrence?

13. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

I’m calling mine an error. Over $20k of nickels searched in 3 years and this is the only one I’ve found.

14. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

It is an error coin. And it is an occurrence.

15. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

This would not qualify as an error. But it's worth keeping for its educational value.

16. Wanderingbark116

Thank you! I am absolutely keeping it! I've learned a TON researching this little guy! Thank you again for your insight :)

Draft saved Draft deleted