Blank planchet…

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by 4LuvOr$$, Jul 22, 2021.

1. 4LuvOr$$

4LuvOr$$ Member

I was curious if anyone knew if it is unusual to find a completely blank planchet? And how would I differentiate between that and a slug?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Well, lets get some terms straight first:

A "blank" is the round piece of metal punched from the strip (you may also see this sometimes called a Type I Blank).

A "planchet" has been through the upset mill and has raised rims, ready for striking (you may also see this sometimes called a Type II Blank).

A "slug" is a garden pest with a low tolerance to salt.

Asking about a "blank planchet" introduces confusion, and is redundant. Blanks and Planchets are both fairly common in modern series, and have a fairly low premium for common types (zinc pennies are very common). Finding silver planchets is less common, and will thus have higher premiums.

4. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

Just got Schooled again.. thanks

Southernman189 likes this.
  5. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I've found several blank planchets in bank boxes over the years. Not common. But not out of the realm of possibility.

Southernman189 and 4LuvOr$$ like this.
  6. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

A type 1 blank will be flat all the way across, with a cut and shear edge.
    20181022_220449.jpg 20181022_220455.jpg

A type 2 blank (planchet) will have a slightly raised face edge, with a smoother circumference edge due to the milling machine.
    20181022_220507.jpg 20181022_220512.jpg

Weight and diameter may help rule out a slug.

7. 4LuvOr$$

4LuvOr$$ Member

This was definitely the best I could ask for! This answered my question perfectly! Thank you for the illustrations.

Southernman189 and alurid like this.
  8. Southernman189

Southernman189 Well-Known Member

A "punch out" from an electrical outlet could also be called a "slug" seen a few at a flea mkt trying to be pawned off as a foreign coin blank. Just chuckle to yourself and walk on.

9. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Generally, the electric box knockouts have one or two rough spots leftover from the tab. They are only partly punched out of the box so you knock out the one(s) you need. Leaves a tab. If somebody tries to file it down to make a fake blank coin, check the edge.

alurid and Southernman189 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted