Black tetradrachm

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Basileus Antialcidas, Feb 16, 2021.

1. Basileus Antialcidas

Basileus Antialcidas Active Member

I have seen this particular tetradrachms black part on it. What is it? Would it be horn silver or just extremely dark toning. Does something like this retract from the value. Could I remove it some how? Would it get worse in the near future? Thank you all I'm advance.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Looks like "Hoard Patina", which is sometimes desirable.

4. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

I think Mat is right. It doesn't look horny to me.

5. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

6. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

Yes, there's some horn silver on the coin. It seems that the coin was cleaned, probably after it was found.

I wouldn't try to move the horn silver. The result could be undesirable.

No, the horn silver will not spread. Remember that this coin has been buried for many centuries, reacting to moisture and soil condition. The black, horn silver deposit is a result of this reaction.

Over time the lighter areas should tone darker and blend in better with the horn silver area.

I would leave the coin as-is.

What does the obverse look like?

Alegandron and DonnaML like this.
  7. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I am glad you capitalized it, or the word police would come for you.

If you don't get the joke, nevermind.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  8. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Did people use "_____ nazis" phrases before Seinfeld and soup nazis? If it started with Seinfald, bad idea, Jerry. I've never thought it was funny.

9. medoraman

The joke had nothing to do with nazi. Replace with police if you like. And yes, that phrase long predates Seinfeld.

10. DonnaML

Much better.

11. ominus1

..'gammar nazis'...used on the internet(mostly youtube) to describe users, not in a flattering sense, who correct others on syntax, spelling, etc...:)

12. medoraman

Disagree about the youtube thing, since they were present on text based internet chat boards LONG before the WWW, youtube, or Jerry Seinfeld. However, point taken, and if the phrase makes anyone not feel good, I will try to stop using it.

I find it funny no one commented on the REAL intent of my post. Oh well, maybe too esoteric.

ominus1 and DonnaML like this.
  13. DonnaML

Thank you. I appreciate it. I honestly don't feel that the fact that Seinfeld is Jewish justified his use of that phraseology. Anything trivializing the Nazis to the extent of being used as a term for a fanatic about words or soup or the like is something I'm not OK with. (And if that makes me vulnerable to accusations of being a "nazi nazi," so be it.)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    PeteB likes this.
  14. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

There should be a comma after "etc."

Alegandron, Curtis and ominus1 like this.
  15. ominus1

..ahaha... grammar nazi shirt.jpg

16. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I have a couple of my Tets that has the same look... Hoard Patina for me... I like the look.

SELEUKID I

[​IMG]
    Seleukid Seleukos I 312-280 BCE AR Tet 14.46g Seleukia on Tigris. Zeus - Athena driving a quadriga of 4 horned elephants SC 130

SYRACUSE

[​IMG]
    Syracuse Gelon 485-478 BCE AR Tet 24mm 16.7g Slow Biga Victory Arethusa 4 dolphins Sear-Greek S 914 Ex Charles Reeve

Draft saved Draft deleted