Black Sea Area - Mesembria & Apollonia Pontika

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Collect89, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

IMG_5621.JPG IMG_5620.JPG

BLACK SEA AREA
    THRACE, Mesembria
    AR Diobol 450-350 B.C.

1.14 grams, 10 mm
    Obv: Crested helmet facing
    Rev: M E T A in the four quarters of a radiate wheel.
    Grade: EF. Obverse perfectly centered & detailed. Reverse shows all details and is slightly off center.
    Other: Sear 1673. From Fairchester Numismatic Properties, Vincent Blume, August 2013.

Eng, chrsmat71, stevex6 and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

IMG_5617.JPG IMG_5619.JPG

BLACK SEA AREA
    THRACE, Apollonia Pontika
    AR Reduced Drachm 450-400 B.C.

2.86 grams, 13 to 14 mm
    Obv: Anchor with crayfish to right, A to left
    Rev: Gorgoneion (Gorgon) with extended tongue
    Grade: a gF coin with nice old toning with claims to VF with the Gorgon reverse struck off center
    Other: Similar to Sear 1655. From Fairchester Numismatic Properties, Vincent Blume, August 2013.

Eng, chrsmat71, stevex6 and 3 others like this.
  4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Not familiar with these. Anything related to black sea I stay away from since there is tons of excellent fakes that even fool experts.

The gorgan I had a fake of and sent it back.

If its real then its very nice.

Windchild likes this.
  5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I concur with Mat on this. Too many fakes and I'm not that good at spotting them.

6. Windchild

Windchild Punic YN, Shahanshah

I also have avoided buying coins from the Black Sea from dealers due to the number of good fakes.

I nearly bought one, and came back 1 hour later to learn that it was a modern forgery...

7. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

A few of my obols... [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Eng, chrsmat71, Bing and 1 other person like this.
  8. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Nice coins, Collect89 ... oh, and Ripley

Yah, I also have examples of these highly faked coins (hopefully all of our examples are authentic)

mes a.jpg mes b.jpg apollo face a.jpg apollo face b.jpg

Eng, chrsmat71, Ripley and 2 others like this.
  9. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

I am sorry but I don't like the Metapontum coin. It looks like a match to an example from the "Black Sea Hoard" which was the name given to a supposed hoard of these types brought onto the market and sold in large numbers to dealers who were duped. Your coin seems a VERY close match to the dies used to create this documented example of one of these fakes.

[​IMG]

Eng, Ancientnoob, Collect89 and 2 others like this.
  10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I also have one example of each, although my Mesembria ia an AE14:
    Mesembria.JPG ApolloniaPontica.jpg

chrsmat71, Ripley and Windchild like this.
  11. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Can you provide a link to this "Black Sea Hoard" where I might find more photos? Here is a collage I made from the one documented fake & my new coin. There is a very close match but there are some differences. Please let me know if there are other fake photos available on the Web. Fake Black Sea Collage.jpg

12. maridvnvm

Some examples were published in the IAPN Bulletin Of Counterfeits Vol 15, No. 1 in 1990

I had permission to add these to the Forum Fake reports.

Searching for Black Sea Hoard here will turn up many examples including die links etc.:-

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/index.php

There are several online articles on the Black Sea Hoard though they are not all well illustrated.

13. maridvnvm

I must admit that you image of the coins side by side has made me even more convinced that they are obverse die matches.

14. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

:confused: fake, real...man i can't tell the diffence. i hope yours are legit C89...but yeah, it sure does look like that fake.

15. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I've now visited Dr. Ilya Prokopov's Fake Ancient Coin Reports
    on Forum & these fakes from the Black Sea Hoard have been plaguing (and fooling)the collecting hobby for a long time. The fake examples #1277 and #1289 are both really close to the sample I purchased. Perhaps they are just different planchets & different die states of the same counterfeit dies. I think this one may be going back to the dealer for credit.

stevex6 likes this.
  16. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

The title of this thread should be changed from Black Sea Area to Black Sea Hoard. :cool:

17. maridvnvm

The dies were modern and they were used to create hundreds of fakes. ALarm bells started rining due to their style being off and then several die matches were spotted within the hoard (obverse and reverse) but no die linkage to any other known examples.

I was (and always am) reluctant to raise my concerns but given the high frequency with which these fakes still turn up I thought it worth checking the fake reports. It was only when I found what looked like a die match that I raised my concerns.

I have only bought one Apollonia Pontika and have yet to try a Metapontum

Obv:– Facing Gorgoneion, wearing taenia?.
    Rev:– Inverted anchor, crayfish left, A right
    Minted in Apollonia Pontika. 450 – 400 B.C.
    Reference:– SNG Cop 454
    Bought from a well known dealer with a lifetime guarantee

[​IMG]
    Martin

Windchild, Bing and stevex6 like this.
  18. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

I have visited Black Sea at 2012. Very nice and warm place!:)

19. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

I hate the fakes, but its nice to know there are some here that have our backs, its not fun...:(

Draft saved Draft deleted