Black Ruthenium Superman

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by TheGreatFanatic, Sep 21, 2016.

1. TheGreatFanatic

TheGreatFanatic New Member

Yesturday I was looking around eBay for Canadian coins, and I came across a 2016 Canadian black ruthenium Superman coin. I had known about Ru coins before, but I didn't think they were that special other than being colored. The coin itself is from RCM, but the Ru and some traces of gold are added by some third party company. I would've just bought a normal one, but the Ru's limit is only 500. I got it for 70 bucks, and eBay was the only place I could find any. I should get it within the next couple days.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

s-l1600 cfcfcbvnmk,.jpg

what the heck kind of metal is Ruthenium ? never heard of it.

4. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Most likely it is something added to the coin outside the mint. On the website thecoinshoppe.ca they sell some other coins that are plated in ruthenium and outlined in 24 karat gold. They also mention that the plating was done at a mint in Germany.

5. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Guess so too. You can also buy "ruthenium enhanced" American Eagle silver coins, German €5 Planet Earth pieces, and so on. Interesting visual effect, but (while the RCM cannot be trusted when it comes to gimmicky issues ;) ) not an official mint product.

Christian

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Ruthenium is a chemical element with symbol Ru and atomic number 44. It is a rare transition metal belonging to the platinum group of the periodic table. Like the other metals of the platinum group, ruthenium is inert to most other chemicals. The Baltic German scientist Karl Ernst Claus discovered the element in 1844 and named it after his homeland, the Russian Empire (one of Russia's Latin names is Ruthenia). Ruthenium is usually found as a minor component of platinum ores; the annual production is about 20 tonnes.[4] Most ruthenium produced is used in wear-resistant electrical contacts and thick-film resistors. A minor application for ruthenium is in platinum alloys and as a chemistry catalyst.

Isn't Google and Wikipedia a wonderful and useful tool? :)

Kentucky likes this.
  7. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Someone at one of the mints needs to get on this idea. The black and gold contrast is fantastic

8. TheGreatFanatic

It's also 100x rarer than platinum, so I don't think minting ruthenium coins would work out well. I believe what they did is add it to the outside of the coin, but barely any coins are done in Ru that I couldn't find anything about them.

9. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Oh great. Now I want one of those too.

Thanks a LOT @TheGreatFanatic ...

;-)

P.S. A quick Google found them at this website, also for $70?

Merrick Mint

10. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

You know what would be cool?

A gold-plated coin with a black Ruthenium Batman logo on it.

Heck, forget gold-plated. 24k baby!

Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na, Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na... BATMAN!

I see that they made a "Batman vs Superman" coin, but I don't like the design. They should have made the coin look like the box!

http://www.jmbullion.com/2016-canadian-100-14-k-gold-batman-superman-coin/

P.S. Sorry for the thread-hijack.

11. TheGreatFanatic

Don't really know what that was for, but thanks for linking me that site.
    I'll be getting the coin pretty soon, maybe today. I'll post pictures then.

12. TheGreatFanatic

There may be one on eBay, I'm gonna keep looking at some later.

13. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It would not be cost effect to make a 1 oz. Ruthenium coin. Yours is 1 oz. of silver, with a Ruthenium and 24K gold plating. Only 500 were minted by the RCM. You can get one on eBay for $69.95 plus $5.95 S & H. The RCM has made numerous types of these coins.

14. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

For Batman, the entire coin should be black. No need for gold.

15. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

I guess some would like to call it art even though it's not an official mint product. Nothing wrong with that. If there is a market for it, you can't just stop people from marketing and buying such products.

As this is plated, I suspect the amount of ruthenium is really a tiny fraction - estimate to be less than 0.001g.

16. TheGreatFanatic

Or just very very dark gray.

17. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

I'm in for a black on black Batman with the sleek batarang logo or perhaps a black background with (maybe frosted) silver or platinum devices of the batsignal. That would be cool

18. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I bet a black Magic Marker would work real good too... magic.jpg

TheGreatFanatic likes this.
  19. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Even if it was one bullion ruthenium coin could fairly easily consume the worlds entire annual production of the metal. (World annual production is less than 400,000 oz.)

20. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

... @dcarr?

21. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Not really his thing I would think but that brings up a cool idea. What if he low pressure overstruck a superman logo rcmp with a Batman logo. Now that would be a cool bman v sman issue

Draft saved Draft deleted