Black Nickels ?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by mcgrover, Jul 19, 2006.

1. mcgrover

mcgrover Junior Member

I've had these 2 nickels for many years, and they're marked "Black Nickels", they're both 1959s, and they seem uncirculated. They're very shiny, and dark, and cool, and I remember when I got them, the person said there was a special finish to make them the way they are. Anyone know anything? I'm new here and might learn to post a photo yet, but now I don't know how. I've scrolled through the nickel posts and found nothing.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. B12

B12 Coin Hoarder

Yes a pic of them would be great and there is a thread in frequently asked questions forum about uploading pics but I just hope you didn't get cheated because I have never heard of such a thing.;)

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

To learn how to post pics - Click Here

As for the nickels, they could be "Black Beauties". Some Proof examples from the period are known to tone to a blue so dark that they look almost black. Kinda like this one -

Attached Files:

5. tdec1000

tdec1000 Coin Rich, Money Poor :D

I have a couple proofs that look like that. I just love them to death!!! My Jefferson Nickel collection is an extremely excellent one!!

6. That is the coolest thing I have ever seen!!!:eek: How long have these been around? I mean how long has there been the title of "Black Beauties"?

Really cool,

Michael

7. mcgrover

mcgrover Junior Member

Yeah, well that's what mine look like - Black Beauties. Are they proofs? How did they get black is what I wanted to know? Is it artificial toning? mike

8. B12

B12 Coin Hoarder

Yes they are proofs and they get a dark color from dark toning like GD said.

B12

9. Magman

Magman U.S. Money Collector

whoa, thats so cool!

i need to get one of those.

10. bruce 1947

bruce 1947 Support Or Troops

There were also black beauty coins in 1958 & 1959 minted at the Philadelphia mint for circulation.This info came from the book Jefferson nickel analyst by Bernard Nagengast

11. Pepperoni

Pepperoni Senior Member

Unusual

I have seen these. My uncle who was a dealer kept them in a cool spot he always feared they would turn a green but until his passing in 2000 nothing had ever bothered them. These must be very rare now.

Floyd

12. StartingOut

StartingOut Member

I'm glad somebody brought this up. I've been meaning to write about this, but just never got around to it.

I have a friend who's mother had a small coin collecton. This is one of the coins she left my g/f (in a flip), and she was wondering what it was and if it was worth anything. How rare are they? is there a premium on them? I guess I need to know so that I can give her some sort of an answer. It's really nice looking.

13. bruce 1947

I think it had something to do with the heating of the coins and the medal break down while makeing them.
    Doug would know more about that then me.

14. mcgrover

mcgrover Junior Member

Aha! They're in a book. So they're from 1958, 1959, and 1964? Does the book say the coins had a different composition or if there was just a different finish or coating. Did they come black from the mint or did it take time? Mostly curious, but over the years I was surprised how little info I could find on these. I think I paid $20 each. At least $20 is written on the 2x2.

15. CoinDude08

CoinDude08 New Member

I managed to pick one up in a junk box at a coin show for $3 its pretty cool to look at.

16. bruce 1947

none in 1964 just 1958 & 1959 had to do with the heating though, but I will do more research and post more info.Maybe Jody will come on and give more info he knows alot about Jefferson nickels.

17. Did you look at the pic in GD's post?:p

18. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Examples are known from all through the late '50s and early '60s. There has been much specualtion written about the cause or causes, everything from planchet washing to cobalt has been blamed. But to the best of my knowledge there has never been anything definitive proven. But they do make one heck of a beautiful coin.

Some years ago I purchashed an entire collection of toned Proof Jeffs, 220 of them - all naturally toned and every color of the rainbow. Drop dead gorgeous coins every one. But the deep blue, almost black, are the hardest to come by.

Now then, that being said, I must also say this. I know of a gentleman who can produce these at will - as many as ya want. And nobody, and I mean nobody can tell one of his from the genuine article. So, don't go paying high prices for them. He's not the only one out there with knowledge to do this. Even though he doesn't do it - others will.

19. StartingOut

StartingOut Member

Thanks for that info, GD. I'm sure my girlfriend's is the real thing, but if it can be done at will as you've stated, who could really tell. Interesting topic though. I've learned yet another thing. Thanks

20. tdec1000

I have three of them, I think I paid a few dollars a piece for them. One of them came straight out of a proof set.

21. tdec1000

I have one that turned the most beautiful dark purple you ever laid eyes on!!

Draft saved Draft deleted