black eagle

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Crobattt, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Crobattt

Crobattt PEACE BRO xD

This is my favorite note currently,and i'm really itching to get my hand on one. I'm looking for a good price before anything. Any idead where to look? There is one in the pawn shop, it is a 100 and is pretty beat up, is this a good price?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

My only word of advice to you is always buy the very best quality you can afford...

I would go to a auction site like Heritage or Lynn Knight...but thats just my opinion..

RickieB

4. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

5. Crobattt

Crobattt PEACE BRO xD

looks like it's time to start saving up :eek:

6. SemperFiSilver

SemperFiSilver **1 Note Collector

I agree with Rick 100%. Buy the best you can afford that has been graded/slabbed by PMG or PCGS. I can attest it can be a very addictive hobby!!!!

7. 5dollarEdunote

5dollarEdunote Coin Connoisseur

You can get one in 65 condition for $795.

Just a thought. =)

8. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

+1

I love that note, too!

9. krispy

krispy krispy

10. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

A popular choice among large-size collectors, the "Black Eagle". This note was issued for a long period of time and is available in virtually any condition. A good price may not always be a good value. Rick's advise is echoed by many for a reason. Be patient, be smart, and you will never regret it.

11. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

The Black Eagle notes really are beautiful. I have three in my collection that have a neat family history attached. They were given to my great-great aunt when she was a little girl (born in 1889) as a gift. She kept them over the years and they came into the possession of my dad when she passed away. I in turn was given them by my dad because he had no interest in currency, only coins. I've had them for nearly 25 years myself, so family ownership goes back over a hundred years. The notes are slightly circulated, but still in near uncirculated condition. Another interesting thing about them is the serial numbers, they're consecutive odd numbers...E35744001, 003, 005. They have some monetary value to them, but the sentimental value to me is enormous and much more important.

Bruce

12. krispy

krispy krispy

That is a very cool personal history. Nothing beats that sort of connection to your collection. It's something that is the foundation and really enriching, rewarding and transcends monetary value as you said. I have something similar with some pieces in my currency collection and they mean a tremendous amount to me and my link to the people who owned them before me.

I wonder if you have considered having your notes certified (graded) and put into slabs to protect them for longevity. Seems that certifying them also helps verify with any personal items you might need to insure, if you have your collection covered.

13. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

I never did think about certifying my notes, but it's a great idea Chris. As you know I'm new to serious currency collecting and will consider doing it. I've sent many, many coins and tokens in for certification over the years so it's no big deal. Could you give me a rough estimation as to cost? Thanks.

Bruce

14. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

A very nice note for any collection and still on the affordable side for most
    people :)

15. urbanchemist

urbanchemist US/WORLD CURRENCY JUNKIE

the black eagle was a note i had wanted for a long time. i was so excited when i got my first one. rickieb's advice about getting the best condition you can afford is a solid suggestion :thumb: good luck on your quest

here is the first one i ever picked up. its a mule to boot :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. avengerc4

avengerc4 Member

what's a mule? Very nice! I wish mine was of better grade. One day!

17. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

The easy answer is; The offspring of a male donkey and a female horse.
    The numismatic answer; Simply said, a note that has a micro size check number on one side and a macro size number on the other....this came about by the mixing of different front & rear printing plates.

18. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

You're thinking of the 1934 mules, where it was the font-size of the plate number that changed. For these large-size mules, it was the *location* of the plate number that changed, not the size. (Which means that, in order to identify mules and non-mules, you have to know the old and new locations for the plate number on each different design...it's a lot to keep track of, which may explain why these aren't so widely collected as the 1934 mules.)

19. avengerc4

avengerc4 Member

ahh I see. Thanks!

20. WingedLiberty

WingedLiberty Well-Known Member

21. Dr Kegg

Dr Kegg Star Note Fanatic

Besides the shipping, it's not too bad of a price. I wouldn't go much higher than $350 though with that shipping.

Draft saved Draft deleted