Black Cabinet Half 1921

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Heavymetal, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

23F63868-E691-4C56-AFF9-47AB6116E376.jpeg 9381D92E-CD76-406A-9B2D-AD06318EC054.jpeg This puppy came back in a body bag. Fooled a dealer who sold it to another dealer. He sent it to a TPG. Got his $ back from dealer #1 but didn’t give back the piece.
    Comments requested

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Are you saying its counterfeit?

4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Did it pass weight/dimension/magnet testing?

5. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

One look told me that it is a counterfeit. The relief on the reverse is all wrong with the eagle’s body way too high off the surface of the coin. The design is also missing the deepest parts of the details which are most often lost when a less than great counterfeiter makes a second rate copy.

The date, “1921” is also much stronger than the rest of the obverse. That tells me that the clandestine China (probably) mint has this design ready made and just added dates to it as needed.

It’s sad, but not surprising that a couple of dealers would be fooled by this. Some years ago, one of the Coin World editors took a group of Chinese counterfeits out to the floor of the Winter FUN show to see if any of the dealers would buy them as genuine. Unfortunately she found a fair number of takers. Unfortunately some dealers don’t know their business as well as they should.

Heavymetal and J.T. Parker like this.
  6. physics-fan3.14

The weakness of the reverse lettering (especially United States of America) and the odd strength of the date, as you mention, were the two things that first jumped out at me.

7. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

When it comes back in a body bag, I don't think they give an explanation.

8. physics-fan3.14

They usually do. However, it is usually vague: Cleaned, Repaired, Scratched, Hairlines, Counterfeit....etc. They don't explain why they ruled it so, but they will usually tell you what the main problem was.

Islander80-83 likes this.
  9. Islander80-83

Thanks physics!

10. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Very counterfeit. I can see casting bubbles on it. Probably real silver though

Islander80-83 likes this.
  11. Islander80-83

12. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I would've written off the divots as corrosion (a good excuse for a harsh cleaning).

The things that bugged me most on first glance were the date, the exaggerated relief, and the funky rim (fat, with finning?) from 2 to 6 on the obverse.

If it were cast, I'd expect the edge to be terrible, and I'd expect it to fool not even one dealer.

13. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

My gut said it isn’t Chinese. I believe it to be a cast made from mould created using a genuine coin. And the mould was probably “enhanced” to make the cast appear sharper.

Few take the time to look at the edge anymore...

Draft saved Draft deleted