Bittersweet 1794 half dime

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Revello, Jun 14, 2023.

1. Revello

Revello Well-Known Member

Bought a 1794 half dime to complete (finally!) my Dansco 6120 half dime album. Even though it's holed, it has great details (without the hole, VF or XF? I think XF when you compare it to the XF LM-1 sold at Heritage Auctions at https://coins.ha.com/itm/a/1251-3696.s). I think it's an LM-1 variety.

I say "bittersweet" as I couldn't have afforded a 1794 half dime with that level of detail without being holed (so, sweet to me that someone holed it so I could afford it), but bitter in that someone ruined such a wonderful coin by drilling the hole in it.

I'm going to try to have the hole professionally plugged (checking with Coin Restoration Service on the repair cost -- if you have any experiences with them, I'd appreciate the feedback).

(Edit note: I have a "copy" coin in the 1802 half dime slot in the album, so technically, I guess I haven't "completed" the album. I'll never be able to afford an 1802 in my lifetime, unless I hit the lottery soon and if an 1802 was ever offered for sale. I don't think I've seen one for sale in a long, long while. Only 35 thought to exist.)

1794 half dime (obverse)(holed).jpg 1794 half dime (reverse)(holed).jpg

Last edited: Jun 14, 2023
    NSP, KSorbo, -jeffB and 15 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Congrats on the completion of the set. Even with the hole it's a nice coin.

Revello and MIGuy like this.
  4. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

Fantastic! Congratulations!!!!

Revello likes this.
  5. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I suspect the coin will bother you after plugging it . . . it's got a wonderful natural look that you'll never get back once the work is done.

Randy Abercrombie and Revello like this.
  6. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Getting it plugged well might cost as much as you paid for the coin. I would be careful about whom you have do it. It they do a poor job, it will make it worse.

Speaking of the 1802 half dime, it’s the only piece I need to complete my Red Book listed set of early half dimes. The series has fascinated me since I was in high school. I couldn’t afford any of them then. I got my first early half dime, an 1800 “LIBEKTY,” after I landed my first job after college.

There was a decent 1802 half dime which Northeast Numismatics had for over a year. It was graded VG, and they had it marked $155,000 which was too much. They would not budge much from that price. I figured its retail value was around $125,000. It finally came up in a Heritage auction. That was about what it sold for including the buyers fee.

7. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I am a big fan of coins like this. Some of my finest pieces are coins with minor imperfections noted indelibly by a TPG label, snubbed by refined collectors and made quite affordable for me… I love your half dime.

8. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

I like the coin just fine. Great job

Revello and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  9. Vertigo

Vertigo Did someone say bust?

Silly putty

Cheech9712 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted