bitcoin

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by kaosleeroy108, Mar 31, 2014.

1. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

does anyone here mine bit coins??? how does it work / is it worth it???

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I think I'm turning into an old man. "I got no use fer no newfangled bitcoin, or whatever thar called!"

4. drathbun

drathbun Well-Known Member

Unless you spend the big bucks for dedicated mining machines, you'll probably never be able to mine anything of consequence. I read an article recently where a hosting company (which has tons of available CPU cycles) tried mining bitcoins during idle times. The amount they were able to mine wasn't even enough to pay for the increased electricity bill.

Bitcoins could be (can be) mined with a standard desktop. The problem is that the algorithms are so complex that it takes a long time. Bitcoin mining machines have purpose-built chips that process the logic much faster than a standard CPU can, but they're far more expensive.

5. Blaubart

Blaubart Melt Value = 4.50

...and the best machines always seem to be a few months out on production, so one would have to have a lot of confidence in the future of bitcoins to invest in the hardware needed to turn a profit.

Which goes back to the age old economic risk/reward principle. If there's no risk, there's very little profit. To realize larger profits, one has to assume larger risks.

6. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

7. drathbun

You don't know what a bitcoin is? or what the mining process is? both?

8. kaosleeroy108

ok.. I have a separate desktop I just want to use for mining.. I don't care how slow it clogs but as long as it makes money im n ot paying anything for electricity so I don't care

9. drathbun

Someone is paying for the electricity. :)

Short version, as there are plenty of sites on the Internet that will allow you to read more. Point 1 - there is a finite number of bitcoins available. Point 2 - each "solved" bitcoin makes subsequent bitcoins harder and harder to mine. Point 3 - Most standard desktops do not have enough power to keep up with dedicated mining machines.

Here are just a couple of articles:

http://cryptojunky.com/blog/2013/03/26/absolute-beginners-guide-to-gpu-mining-bitcoin/

http://www.businessweek.com/article...ps-gear-computing-groups-competition-heats-up

JPeace$ likes this.
  10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Here's a real quick analysis:

From many sources, mining bitcoins with state-of-the-art equipment gets you enough to cover the cost of electricity, plus a little bit. In other words, you can't get two dollars worth of bitcoin for one dollar worth of electricity, no matter how good your rig is.

A standard desktop will do much worse than a specialized mining rig -- it'll take much more than a dollar's worth of electricity to get a dollar's worth of bitcoin.

Figure your desktop draws, I don't know, 200 watts of power. That's 1/5 of a kilowatt, so you use 1/5 of a kilowatt-hour of electricity per hour. If you've got pretty cheap electricity, that means your machine costs two cents an hour to run.

Do you see where I'm going with this? You'd be earning, most likely, much less than a penny per hour, best-case, even if you're not paying for electricity, or air conditioning, or replacing the parts of your PC that wear out early because of continuous full-load operation.

But it's even worse than that, because you're not earning a continuous trickle of bitcoin -- you have to search for a long time in order to find a block. At this point in the "currency"'s lifecycle, it's most likely that your desktop would never turn up any bitcoin at all.

Don't bother.

11. kaosleeroy108

is there any way to do bit coin mining in lynix
    lynix uses less memory then windows

12. kaosleeroy108

100%

13. drathbun

Memory has nothing to do with it. It's about CPU/GPU processing power.

14. Coin King

Coin King New Member

Bitcoins can be mined with a High configure CPU. It needs more power and specially made for mining bitcoin.

15. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

The bottom line is: You will not only "never get rich" doing this, you wouldn't make enough alone to be classified anything else but poor or destitute. Pencils and a hat may be more productive.

16. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Draft saved Draft deleted