Binder Pages for Air Tite Capsules?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by myownprivy, Jul 7, 2018.

1. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

Hi, All

I am looking for recommendations of collecting supplies. I would like to find a binder page to hold and display Air Tite capsules.

Does anyone own Lighthouse album pages that hold Air Tites? $12 for 2 pages
    https://smile.amazon.com/Lighthouse-Air-Tite-20mm-25mm-Capsule-Holders/dp/B01KP3KV3M/

How about the binder and pages produced by Air Tite themselves? $30+ for binder and a few pages
    https://www.air-tites.com/air-tite_coin_albums.htm#.W0FpOUzMxmA

Any opinions on these or other options?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

A suggestion for you. Before buying any binder pages do some research, contact the companies that make them if you have to, and find out what those binder pages are made of. I say that because many binder pages contain PVC. So even if you are using the best coin holders there are, TPG slabs, Air-Tites, Coin World slabs, etc etc - the gas put off by the PVC plasticizers still gets to the coins and does its damage.

And you also have to check out the folder itself that holds the binder pages, for they also often contain PVC as well.

4. myownprivy

5. samclemens3991

samclemens3991 Well-Known Member

I know the Eagle pages from Amos Press are safe.

6. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

I get these Lighthouse EnCap coin capsule pages from JP's Corner. $2.95 per.

From the manufacturer's website:

"All ENCAP pages are made from crystal clear PET and are 100% PVC-free."

[​IMG]

John Skelton likes this.
  7. myownprivy

Oh those look nice! And much cheaper than the link I provided for 2 pages for $12. Thank you! And the air tites fit nicely and securely inside?

8. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Well, as securely as possible while still allowing some leeway to facilitate removal. They don't "lock" into place, but if they did you'd never get them out without destroying the page.

9. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Here’s the Caps album that holds my date set of ASEs. I like it. Capsules fit snug.

A3DBF2EF-8E3D-4860-99A3-928055CDA78C.jpeg 820E9C4E-44FA-4BEA-90A0-19BC7C13EAF2.jpeg 2EB17A18-B9D2-4A68-9B65-89E45A335159.jpeg

mlov43 and myownprivy like this.
  10. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

11. GDJMSP

Yeah it's pretty to look at. But the album cover, the part where it says Silver Eagles, is it made of vinyl ? It it is then it contains PVC. Is it made of leather ? If it is then it contains tannin - both of which are bad for coins. The album pages, is that white part paper or cardboard ? And if it is then is it archival quality ? If it is not then it contains sulfur, also bad for coins. And the clear part of the pages - do they contain PVC, or not ? A great many of them do.

These things are all just parts of the problem with coin albums. They sure are pretty to look at, and they provide a truly great presentation for your coins. But all those things that make them pretty to look at - those are also the things that destroy your coins over a period of time. And it often happens so slowly that you don't even notice it until it's too late.

Now I'm not saying the albums you guys choose to use are good or bad because I don't know. But what I am saying is those are the questions that you need to be asking yourselves - if you want to protect your coins.

12. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Okay, I've got a great idea for a new Airtite album:

*Completely aluminum binder.
    *Auto glass pages to hold the Airitites (you know, so when it shatters, the glass just kinda holds together or breaks into piece that won't slice you open).

It'll look as ugly as a box of hammers, and probably sound like one if you were to set it down on a table hard enough, but it would be completely ARCHIVAL.
    Okay, that's a bad idea; Anyway...

I think the makers of Airtite albums all say that regardless of the non-archival qualities of their binders and pages, the coins are in Airtites, so there's no need to worry about the binders and pages. It seems the people selling these products disagree with your assessment, Doug. Although I suspect you may be correct...

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  13. GDJMSP

Air-Tites are NOT airtight ! And neither is any other coin holder !

Sure, they help slow the process down, and I strongly recommend using them. But they absolutely will NOT stop it.

Draft saved Draft deleted