Bimetal Coins.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Aidan Work, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Here's another new section.This time,it is about bimetal coins.If you can think of any countries that have had bimetal coins, apart from the 15 Euro-Zone countries,can you please post some details & (or) some scans of coins here.I'll start this one off.I know that New Zealand had a bimetal 50c. coin,& that Canada has the bimetal $2.Zimbabwe has had a bimetal $5 & Botswana a 5 Pula.I also know that Poland,Italy,San Marino,& the Vatican City had bimetal coins.The English tin farthings (1/4 d.) & 1/2d. are actually bimetal coins,as they have a copper plug through them.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ccgnum

ccgnum New Member

In yahoo groups there's a group of bimetallic collectors and they have a constantly undated list of bi- and tri-metallic coins.

4. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

The WBCC (see my other reply) has a large "image library" here:
    http://www.wbcc-online.com/library.html

Just beware - some of the pieces depicted are actually coins, while others are test strikes, medals, tokens, etc. Also, the images may take a while to load in case you have a slow connection ...

Christian

5. WhispTech

WhispTech Senior Member

Jamaica has bi-metal coins.

There is a $20 dollar jamaican coin with marcus garvey on it for the year 2000 along with some others.

6. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

WhispTech,I had forgotten about Jamaica's bimetal
    $20 coin.I have got one.I have also got the 5/- & 10/- coins from Kenya.Kenya issued a 40/- bimetal
    coin last year to commemorate 40 Years of Kenya's Independence.

7. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Here is a list of some more bimetal coins;

Taiwan $50.
    Sri Lanka 10 Rupees.
    Ecuador 1,000 Sucres.
    Mexico 1 New Peso.
    Mexico 1 Peso.
    Mexico 5 New Pesos.
    Mexico 20 New Pesos.(This coin has a silver centre part.).
    Monaco 10 Francs.

8. sylvester

sylvester New Member

As you can see tin is not an ideal metal to make coins out of, and tin and copper are not a very good mix at all. My former Charles II 1684 tin farthing.

http://www.omnicoin.com/coin_view.aspx?id=889723

9. JD White

JD White MTTs - gotta love 'em

chrisild posted a link to the WBCC, but I think you'll find this one might be better: http://www.wbcc-online.com/products.html

The WBCC is a very dedicated group of collectors that locate and report all bi-metallic coins and produce a document covering them. The club is free to join and the document, "The World of Bi-Metallics", is free to members as an Excel file.

I think the correct figure is 114 countries produce bi-metallic coins. BTW, yes I am a member and I also designed that web site a couple of years ago.

..JD

10. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

South Africa now has a bimetal 5 Rand coin.

Aidan.

11. Topher

Topher New Member

There are way too many to list. I have only a small handful of what is truly available. I, too am also a member of the WBCC, mainly to expand my knowledge of the bi-metallics. Thailand and Russia are two coins that I can think of that have issued a lot of commemorative bimetallic coins.

Also - the Toronto light rail uses a small (dime sized) bimetallic token. I don't take that train, but I really would like to go get one of those tokens. LOL

12. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Chris,have you reported a list of the bimetal coins that have been issued since 2005,when the W.B.C.C. last updated their listings?

Aidan.

13. Topher

Topher New Member

Aidan, the only ones I've found to report so far are the 4 varieties of the 2006 Toonie. I'm still relatively new to the bimetallic crowd, but I'm working on it.

14. shomesg

shomesg New Member

I have a bimetal medallion. It was released by Germany during the FAFA World Cup 2006. I have never seen any reference to this medallion on the net. Does any one else have one of these? And any idea whats the market value of this

Its a silver and gold medal. But its not a legal tender.

Attached Files:

15. mamooney

mamooney Senior Member

Israel's Bi Metallic 10 Sheqel Coin

The legal tender Bi Metallic 10 Sheqel is currently circulated in both Israel and the Palestinian Territories. It's face value is approximately $2.50. Counterfeits of this coin also exist.
    [​IMG]
    Diameter: Ring: 23 mm.
    Center: 16 mm.
    Weight: 7 gr.
    Edge: Reeded.
    Thickness: 2.2 mm.
    Obverse: Palm tree with seven leaves and two baskets with dates; the emblem of the State of Israel; the words "for the redemption of Zion" in ancient and modern Hebrew; vertical lines.
    Origin of motif: Ancient coin from 69 C.E., the fourth year of the Jewish-Roman war, one year before the destruction of the Second Temple.
    Reverse: The denomination "10 New Sheqalim" and "Israel" in Hebrew, Arabic and English; the date in Hebrew; branch with dates, vertical lines.
    Alloy: Ring: Nickel Bonded Steel.
    Center: Aureate Bonded Bronze.
    Design: Reuven Nutels.
    Arabic caligraphy: Yousuf Wahba.

In 1995 a commemorative was issued that is still seen in circulation as well.
    [​IMG]
    Obverse: An image of Golda Meir.
    All other details: unchanged.
    Design: Gabi Neumann.
    Year: 1995
    Date of issue: June 27, 1995.

16. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

As for that World Cup medal, see my reply in the "Post a picture of your BiMetalic Coins" thread.

So far I have all the €2 coins from the EU members (I collect them by type only, not year or mintmark); those are all bimetallic. Don't care that much about the euro coins from non-EU countries. Monaco for example plans to issue a €2 commem dedicated to Princess Grace (Gracia Patricia) who died 25 years ago. Mintage 20,000 or so, and apparently they will not be sold directly to collectors. :rolleyes:

Christian

17. weifin

weifin Junior Member

Taiwan bi-metal NT$50 is for years 1996-2001 (haven't seen 1999 to 2001). Bi-metal is built with copper based in center circle and nickel based in outer circle. Can view @till.myweb.hinet.net/samcoins/coins_taiwan/coins_taiwan.html. Web says they were only producted 96-98 but I have spoked to Taiwan Central Bank spokesman and he has told me that the other three years should also be available. Also NT$20 2001 is same style bi-metal but "silver" in center and "copper" in outer ring. It is in circulation but usually horded--not easy to encounter in daily shopping.

18. Mexico has bi-metallic coins as well. I have an example of the new peso. My first bi-metallic coin was Russian, I got it in 1993 or 94 but it is dated 1992.

19. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Just saw a few of my older replies here. :) Well, in that previous post that I wrote roughly two years ago, I mentioned that Princess Grace (Kelly) €2 commem from Monaco. Back then I thought, phh, why would I want to pay more than 100 euro for one of those? These days that piece costs at least €600, usually about €700. And if you look at the eBay auction 120448351226 ... well, that is an extreme, I think, but coin collectors sure are crazy people, hehe.

Christian

Draft saved Draft deleted