Billon Tetradrachm of Emperor Macrinus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Al Kowsky, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

The tetradrachm of Macrinus pictured below is the last coin I won at auction last year, it finally arrived today :D. This coin is by no means rare, however, Macrinus was emperor for only 18 months before being assassinated, so his provincial war coinage isn't nearly as common as the other emperors. What attracted me to the coin is the strange portrait of Macrinus with the hooked nose o_O. It's actually difficult to find two different provincial mints that have the same style portrait. Since he was emperor for such a short time official busts of him obviously didn't get around to all the provincial mints, & the celators probably relied on verbal descriptions.

Prieur 972 obv..JPG Prieur 972 rev..JPG
    The tet pictured below has been in my collection a long time & it's been posted a number of times, but I'll post it again just for comparison.

Prieur 890, obv..JPG Prieur 890, rev..JPG
    The coin pictured below from Antioch, Syria has a fairly accurate portrait of Macrinus, I sold it at a Heritage auction 9 years ago for $546.00 :jawdrop:. The coins from the Rome mint have the most accurate & finely engraved portraits.

2420230-004 insert.jpg 2420230-004 obv..jpg 2420230-004 rev..jpg
    The marble bust of Macrinus pictured below is a period bust of the emperor, it resides in the Capitoline Museum of Rome. If any CT members have interesting coins of Macrinus post them if you like :D.

Macrinus, c. AD217.jpg

Edessa, dlhill132, Aunduril and 23 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Excellent coins. Thanks for sharing them. I have been looking for a billon tet of Alexandria of Macrinus recently though I can't find any on wildwinds. A quick search on ac search didn't show anything either. Is it possible that none were issued?

4. Svarog

Svarog Well-Known Member

5. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

The portrait on this Rome mint denarius looks much more like the bust in the Capitoline Museum ...

Macrinus PONTIF MAX TR P COS PP Fides denarius.jpg

... than does this provincial from Nicopolis ad Istrum:

Macrinus Nicopolis Apollo Sauroktonos.jpg

6. Al Kowsky

A.C.H., I've got a reprint of TETRADRACHMS OF ROMAN EGYPT by James W. Curtis & he lists only 3 known examples of Tets of Macrinus. He does picture one example that looks beautifully engraved, equal in quality to the Rome Mint examples. Alexandrian Tets of Caracalla issued after the death of Severus are very rare as are examples of Geta. I've never seen a Macrinus Tet of Alexandria come up for sale.

7. Al Kowsky

R.C., That's a beautiful denarius of Macrinus, & you're right it sure looks like the bust in Rome. The provincial bronze looks as bad as the first two examples I posted.

Roman Collector likes this.
  8. Al Kowsky

Svarog, Those are two interesting examples with the 1st one having an excellent portrait of Macrinus. The lettering on the coin is strange, especially on the reverse. The reverse inscription appears to be engraved directly into the die rather than using pre-made letter punches o_O. With most of the mint mark missing I can't tell where it's from; do you know where it was struck :confused:? The 2nd example you posted looks typical for the Laodicea Mint. There was a serious decline in portrait engraving with the coins Macrinus from this mint, which is surprising when you look back at earlier examples from the Severan dynasty.

Theodosius likes this.
  9. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Here's another provincial from Nikopolis ad Istrum , portrait looks different then the one on the Nikopolis coin from Roman Collector:

Macrinus Nemesis bb (2).jpg

10. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

Though not a provincial Macrinus, this denarius has an interesting provenance in that it was found near Nijmegen, Netherlands.
    E86751E2-10AF-4506-A1B6-21032CE45820.png
    ROMAN IMPERIAL, Macrinus
    Denomination: AR denarius, minted: Rome, Italy; 217-218 AD
    Obv: IMP CM OPEL SEV MACRINVS AVG, bust of Macrinus, laureate, cropped beard, cuirassed to the right.
    Rev: SALVS PVBLICA, Salus, draped, seated left on throne with high back, feeding out of patera in right hand snake coiled round altar and holding sceptre in left hand
    Weight: 3.45g; Ø:1.8mm
    Catalogue: RIC IV 86
    Provenance: Found near Nijmegen (Netherlands), ex private collection; acq.: 09-2019

11. Al Kowsky

Andres2, Despite the lack of detail on your coin it appears vastly different than the R.C. coin & is probably closer to what Macrinus looked like ;).

Andres2 likes this.
  12. Al Kowsky

Roerbakmix, That's a nice looking coin with a deep patina :D. How interesting to be found in your home country :cool:. I noticed you & Andres2 both reside in the Netherlands, do you know each other o_O?

13. Archeocultura

Archeocultura Well-Known Member

The Netherlands may be small, but we live here with over 17,000,000 people!
    My Macrinus is a forgery attempt: the undertype is easily recognisable (I think).

Frans IV-II Macrinus made from Antoninus Pius sestertius.jpg

14. Al Kowsky

OMG, another collector from the Netherlands :jawdrop:! Thanks for the post Frans :D. In the U.S. we would consider the Netherlands small :p, however, I'm sure your country has more ancient coin collectors per capita than we have :(. I can only guess what the undertype of your coin is, Antoninus Pius :confused:?

15. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

We basically own this place ;)

16. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Thanks for answering the question. I doubt that's one I will ever be able to procure.

17. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

LOL

18. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I have a provincial:

RI Macrinus 217-218 AE25 CE Facing Quadriga.jpg
    Macrinus, 217-218, stuck at Leucas on the Chrysorous in Coele-Syria.
    (Located possibly at Abila, east end south of the Sea of Galilee (according to BMC).
    AE28-24, 16.10 grams. Thick.
    Facing quadriga. This is unusually early for this type
    SGI --, BMC Syria has none of Macrinus from this city and only 7 from this city, total.
    Lindgren and Kovacs 2187. rare
    Ex: @Valentinian Warren Esty

19. Al Kowsky

Alegandron, Thanks for posting your rare bronze provincial from this obscure location :D! I have seen earlier bronze coins from this mint with quadrigas on the reverse, but as you point out not from a front facing view ;).

Alegandron likes this.
  20. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Gosh, there are some nice coins in the post. My heart's all a'flutter. I only have one Macrinus, a two-headed Antioch AE, with his son:

Macrinus & Diad Antioch Lot - Mar 19 (0).jpg

Macrinus and Diadumenian
    (217-218 A.D.) Æ 18
    Syria, Seleucis & Pieria Antiochia ad Orontem

[AVKMO] C MAKΡINOC C Laureate head of Macrinus r. /KAI M O ΔIA ANTΩNINOC Bare-headed bust, draped and cuirassed, of Diadumenian r., S C at sides.
    BMC 404-405.
    (3.26 grams / 18 mm)

21. Andrew McMenamin

Andrew McMenamin Nerva You Mind

Draft saved Draft deleted