Billon and bronze disease

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by limmle, Jan 7, 2021.

1. limmle

limmle Active Member

I am hoping someone can give me some advice on bronze disease in billon coins as opposed to bronze. I picked up a Uranius Antoninus tetradrachm at an auction about 12 months ago. I paid more than its worth, but I've got an obsession with collecting rare emperors when the opportunity presents itself. I noticed last week some spots of BD (they rubbed off fairly easily) appear s on both sides of the coin. it's been about 7 days and nothing has reappeared yet but Im very concerned. The coin was not cheap and I'm very worried. Do I treat BD in billon any differently from bronze? Any suggestions on what I should do?

I have picture of the coin, but you can't see the BD as I have removed it. They were only very small points of green, about 4 or 5, randomly placed on the obverse and 1 on the reverse. Any advice would be appreciated.

Business%20Morning%20_edited-11.jpeg Business%20Morning%20_edited-12.jpeg
    Uranius Antoninus (Usurper 253-254)
    billon tetradrachm 253-254 Emesa RPC IX 1876var. Obverse: AYTOΚ COYΛΠ ANTωNINOC CЄ (AUTOK [=IMP] SULP ANTONINUS SE [=AVG]) Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Uranius Antoninus to right, seen from behind. Reverse: ΔHMAPX ЄΞOYCIAC (DEMARCH EXOUSIAS [= TRIBUNICA POTESTAS?]/ ЄΜΙCΑ / S - C Eagle with spread wings standing facing, head to right and holding wreath in beak.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I have found that billon is the most difficult alloy to deal with. I hope an expert sees this and offers some sound advice on what might be done with it. Please let us know if you do find something that works.

limmle likes this.
  4. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Since it hasn't returned, I would just put it in the oven on its lowest setting (300-350 degrees is just right) for twenty minutes, put some Verdi- Care on and have never had BD come back. If you don't have Verdi care the heat still helps.
    I live in a dessert though so am luckier than someone in a swampy climate when it comes to my bronzes.
    Best of luck with what appears to be an amazing snag... though, @lordmarcovan can tell us about getting a good deal on a coin with BD and BD just doing what it does and taking over until the coin is destroyed.
    Best of luck.

limmle likes this.
  5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Not quite. Unfortunately, I paid full retail for the pair that I had which were later ruined by BD. As luck would have it, both were Caligulas with three-figure pricetags. Ouch. :blackeye::dead:

limmle, Justin Lee and Ryro like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted