BILLIONS OF SILVER (NON) DOLLARS STOCKPILED??

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by john65999, May 4, 2020.

1. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

The article is referring to the billion dollars of "gold dollar" coins that the public rejected, but mint is still mandated to produce.

No silver, unfortunately.

Golden Dollar's overall composition: 88.5% copper. 6% zinc. 3.5% manganese.

john65999 likes this.
  4. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

i read most of the article, i think they mainly have Susie b's and Indian gold coins (Sacajawea)..they were saying if they put them all in public they would net 70 cents per coin profit at the expense of our taxpayers

5. Legomaster1

Legomaster1 Cointalk Patron

It's an older article-from 2011. The Presidential dollars aren't in production anymore- haven't been since 2016. Although about the Sacagaweas, I don't know.

Those are never going to see widespread use, unless the $1 note is permanently withdrawn- which is highly unlikely, as it's far more popular than the dollar coins.
    Even in future years, the coins will probably remain an obscure currency, like half dollars and $2 notes, reserved for the use of folks who want to be cool, or bring something unusual into circulation.

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  6. St Gaudens collector

St Gaudens collector Active Member

Yes...By all means...Give your money to the Fed & not the treasury.:nailbiting:

7. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

The only place that actually wants them is Ecuador. They circulate freely there, and are the standard currency. We ship them by the boatload.

I think they only use the Sacagaweas, though, not the presidential dollars. The image of a native woman and child resonates with the Ecuadorian people. It resembles the Madonna and Child imagery that's very common there (at least, that's what the tour guide told me).

Draft saved Draft deleted