Bill to Change Bullion & Collectible Coin requirements

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by stoster38, Apr 8, 2015.

1. stoster38

stoster38 Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Why? Is that extra 10% REALLY that important to you? Looking at hoarding silver proof dimes, quarters, and halves in your IRA and they need to be .999 fine for that?

4. Afab67

Afab67 New Member

Probably a good idea so that Canadian bullion does not increase in value over our own.

5. stoster38

stoster38 Member

Why not have the extra silver? Especially if having it, would yield savings to the Mint, as the article indicates. Seems like a win-win situation to me.

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Savings maybe on planchet production, but I doubt there would be any consumer savings. In fact, I'd expect them (mint) to charge a lot more for the products.....

7. stoster38

stoster38 Member

I wouldn't expect them to pass on any savings to collectors lol

green18 likes this.
  8. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

This sounds like legislation out of a comedy program like Veep, something almost insanely trivial to waste congressional time on. Have they nothing better to do? Hands up anyone who can't think of something better they could be doing.

Right. I see no hands.

swamp yankee, JPeace$ and stoster38 like this.
  9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I had mine up. How'd you miss me?

10. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

That camouflage jacket was doing a really fine job.

green18 likes this.
  11. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

I have something they could be doing instead of this b.s.-rope testing.....

12. onecenter

onecenter Member

I have read about a similarly proposed bill in the past. The general thrust is that 90% fineness is so "unusual." "Nobody" uses it anymore.

Hardly. I have two brand-spanking new March of Dimes dollars with 2015 dates in 90% silver sitting right next to me as I type this.

Ninety percent fineness was nearly uniform on all silver US coins from 1837-1964, early trimes being one exception, War nickels of 1942-45, another. The national legal silver standard was reinstated in 1982 for the first modern commemorative halves and then migrated to the post-1982 commemorative silver dollars. It was logically employed for the silver proof sets since 1992. It should have been considered for a silver Sacagawea dollar in 2000, but that is whole different story.

What I have a big problem with is the potential for Congress to weaken its documented constitutional authority over coinage specifications, weights and measures and transferring it to the executive branch. James Madison would be rolling over.

Draft saved Draft deleted