Bill scanner?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Detecto92, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

I looked around and come to find out, no one actually makes it.

We have all seen the bill slots on vending machines.

We have all seen computer scanners.

I'm surprised they don't make a scanner for paper money collectors. Simply stick the bill in, and it's scanned.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

There's no way I would shove an expensive banknote into anything that looked like a slot on a vending machine! :eek:

4. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

5. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

But really, i'm confused.

6. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

What color is the sky in your world, Drago?

Why would you need a note scanner?
    To differentiate genuine from counterfeit?
    If you possess the gift of sight and can't
    tell the difference, you shouldn't be handling
    paper money!

7. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

I'm talking about something that would scan it for imaging purposes.

8. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

just use a photo scanner?:confused:

9. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

Ever hear of a scan/fax machine? It works perfectly.

10. james m. wolfe

james m. wolfe New Member

11. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Have you decided what you want to be when you grow up?

12. urbanchemist

urbanchemist US/WORLD CURRENCY JUNKIE

why would you ever want to send your valuable nice crisp note through a feeding scanner. sorry but that is just the most ridiculous idea i have ever heard of. nothing will work better than a standard scanner. all my notes are in holders so i would never risk taking them out just to scan them. any good scanner can scan and still get a great image even with the note in a holder. sorry not a good idea at all. next topic :D is there a dislike button i can push.

13. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

Hey guys, there is a bill scanner available for sale. It's even a handheld device, check it out.
    [​IMG]

14. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Looks like a curling iron...... probably does the same thing.:)

15. krispy

krispy krispy

I've never really seen a "computer" scanner, though I have seen and worked with quite a few different models of 'document' scanners that are connected to computers and used to capture digital image files of physically flat objects.

Now, you may have 'looked around' already, but you certainly didn't look hard enough because it hardly takes much looking to find a bevy of "portable document scanners", many of which allow you to insert a flat document into the scanner like a vending machine cash feed device. While there may exist such devices with dual scanning (for both sides simultaneously) most only scan one side at a time, so you still need to run the document through twice.

But please, PLEASE, learn how to be a responsible collector who cares for the items you own. And don't put such collectibles through these devices, that's just plain dumb and it will only cost you the value of the items you have paid to put into your collection by introducing them to unnecessary damage.

Take the time and the extra step to use a regular flat bed scanner. Don't be lazy about your collection if you are intent on handling it during the process of imaging your items. Most 'portable document scanners' are not of particularly noteworthy optical capability. They are created for their convenience, and are not optimal devices for imaging, particularly when detail is something you may seek-- such as what most collectors like to see.

As most scanners require a strong source of light to illuminate the document being scanned, in order to illuminate both sides simultaneously for quick scanning, you would soon realize that light from both sides at the same time would allow light from one side of the document to spill to the other side being scanned, interfering with the image on both sides, as the paper itself is semi-translucent. With a note you may get mixed scans of face details showing on the back and vice versa. Additionally, if a scanner were capable of scanning both sides through such a feed device, you'd have a larger device overall, as all elements would need to be doubled, two camera lens and two lamps running together, more systems for dealing with two images at the same time, and also your costs for the device rise too.

You can find perfectly useful and capable flat bed scanner and spend a wee bit more time scanning notes as everyone else does. Try putting as much effort into scanning and imaging your collection as you do creating these numerous questions threads of yours and you'll do just fine.

16. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Soooooooo......after my second cup of morning coffee I see that it's a shredder. Missed that first time around. :eek::eek::eek:

17. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Side note: If space (or rather the lack thereof) is an issue, many office supply stores have (flatbed) scanners that you can use for such purposes. Note that some scanners, or rather the software you use with them, will not allow hi-res scans of recent notes. But that slot thing ... would I a photo "machine" with a coin slot to get my coins photographed? Nah. Don't do it with paper money either :)

Christian

Draft saved Draft deleted