Bill in the House to honor the 100th anniversary of the 1921 silver dollars

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Roman Collector, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I'm primarily an ancients collector, but I got my start in US coinage. I've had this one since I was a small boy ...

Morgan 1921.jpg
    It may not look like much to you guys, but it's historically important -- so much so that there is a bill before the house, H.R. 6192, to issue coins commemorating the Peace and Morgan dollar issues of 1921! See the PAN website for more information and for links to your US representative in congress.

Let's see your 1921 dollars!!!

1100110022.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

How long does it usually take the mint to get a commen out the door after the legislation is passed? There will also be the corona problem.

4. serdogthehound

serdogthehound Well-Known Member

These one should be quicker as no design appears to be needed under the bill. It seems to be more of carrying on the series for another year (which is pretty cool)

I want it to pass and I want West Point mint marked Morgans please and thank you

5. Penna_Boy

Penna_Boy Just a nobody from the past

I'm betting this will be another San Francisco Old Mint Dollar. For the past decade the US Mint has been disappointing. There's so many originals out there that buying a copy does not make sense to me.

Pete Gabriele likes this.
  6. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Oh, goodie.
    Another expensive commemorative.
    (Yes, it will be expensive in that a year after you buy it you won't be able to sell it for what you paid.)
    And thus the Mint makes more money.

Pete Gabriele likes this.
  7. Ike Skywalker

Ike Skywalker Well-Known Member

I too am afraid of a caricature design. I won’t be satisfied unless the original designs are duplicated exactly. Here’s a couple of mine:

52CD5850-534D-497C-94BC-58015079D1CD.jpeg
    F262714A-0E72-4B23-A5D7-3B13FE3933F9.jpeg

8. Pete Gabriele

Pete Gabriele Member

I agree with @Penna_Boy, @kanga and @Ike Skywalker. Forget it! I don't even think the mint has a Chief Engraver today! If they do, the guy is probably doing it on a CAD!!! Some (most) of the designs coming out of the mint today are pathetic and embarrassing!

S20200706_006.jpg S20200706_004.jpg

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  9. Penna_Boy

Penna_Boy Just a nobody from the past

I think what the United States Mint needs is not another gimmick but better leadership. Sure, some of their 'toys' appeal to the younger crowd but has no effect on long term serious collectors. Getting in some new thinkers who might bring back some of the old designs both gold and silver might just appeal to us 'old timers'. Just a though, that's all.

10. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

It could be an item if and when congress wakes up and realizes "its we the people" not "we the me." My point of view only I would like to see it happen!

11. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I can’t muster much enthusiasm for this. The 1921 Morgan Dollar was a pale imitation of the coins that were issued in the 19th century. The Peace dollar was okay, but it’s always played second fiddle to the Morgan Dollar among collectors.

I am a bit of a gold bug, but I didn’t buy the Mercury Dime, Standing Liberty Quarter and Walking Half Dollar gold coins. At the price, they did nothing for me. The gold Mercury Dime didn’t even have split bans!

I strongly expect that this will be another pass for me. That goes double if the mint plays with the distribution and makes these coins into low mintage “modern rarities” which are sold to big dealers so they can control the market and charge prices well over the issue amounts.

I think that the Peace Dollar in its original high relief form was an attractive coin, but it is almost impossible to find one that is fully struck.

Draft saved Draft deleted