Big Thanks

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by nameless, Oct 17, 2017.

1. nameless

nameless Member

Just wanted to thank everyone for all the help over the past week or so identifying the coins within this ancient coin lot. I’ve decided which ones I’m going to keep the rest will be used in trade (is that common practice in this hobbie?). I’d like to acquire some ancient gold next so Ill be checking vcoins. Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

You're welcome...good luck with the gold coins.

4. GerardV

GerardV Well-Known Member

@nameless There is also a tradition of gifting coins on this forum. So, that's an option as well. I won a contest that included a bag of coins that I'm slowly trying to identify/attribute. Once I've worked through most of them I'm going to gift some of the coins to new Ancient collectors and a member of CT who reached out to me via PM.

One way to thank the group for helping identify the coins might be finding a young Ancient collector and pass them one of the coins as a way of paying it forward.

Johndakerftw, Stevearino and Cucumbor like this.
  5. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

I have enjoyed looking at your coins and providing some hints on attributions. I think people here love to help folks that are interested in ancient coins, history and learning about them, and not as motivated to help people whose only interest in coins is in reselling them. Ditto for people willing to put in effort to figure things out for themselves versus people who expect the community to do all the work for them.

John

Stevearino and TheFinn like this.
  6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Trading is a great idea but it runs into one very big problem. Most of us have all the 'beginner' coins we want so the coins that I might want to get in trade would be exactly the same ones the other regulars here do not want to get rid of.
    That is where GerardV's idea comes in. Unfortunately, it runs into the same problem to some degree since several of our beginners have higher standards than I do about wanted coins. Those who collect only slabbed mint state coins find nothing they want in the ones I am finished with whether exchanged by gift, sale or trade. We have seen gifts given here end up on eBay. That occurrence tends to cut down on future gifts from that donor. It is great if you can find a 'equal' partner or a beginner who will appreciate the coins you do not love. I have given, received, traded, bought and sold with other CT members but that has not been a major part of my hobby.

You pretty much declared me correct here when you announced you are ready for gold. I've been playing in this hobby for over 50 years and I have three solid gold coins (and a few gold fourrees). I doubt we will be great trading partners.

Draft saved Draft deleted