"Big Sky" Ikes for sale by Littleton

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Wally in Cincy, Jan 10, 2012.

1. 9roswell

9roswell Senior Member

littleton bashers crack me up! a coin is worth what someone will pay for it. if you think they charge too much don't buy.
    if you were selling a coin that i think is too high does that make you a crook? all the people that sold 25th eagle sets for 2,3 or more times what they bought them for, you don't think that is ripping people off? if you don't like littleton thats fine, but they haven't been in business this long by ripping people off, they sell you exactly what they say they are.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

My 2cents

:dead-horse::)I learn the hard way about Littleton when I 7-10yr old. I pull out a page of a comic book& signed up for a mouthy sub,I think was 5.95.but hex I was only making $12-15.00month on my paper route& working for my uncle!!!!
    thank god Mom wrote a letter to them and got me off the hock!
    I think the way the contract was back then,I would still be getting junky bag coins from Coinstar/Littleton!

:)read the fine print on anything!.

4. quartertapper

quartertapper Numismatist

I think most are just against the price and/or the gimmicky name given to this hoard.

5. 9roswell

9roswell Senior Member

i have been on their plans before too and you could always send them back postage paid by them with no problem. all you had to do was tell them to cancel and they would. a few years ago they had a special of up to 5 ASE for $3.25 if you sing up to get 1 a month to look at. canceled after one no problem.

6. quartertapper

quartertapper Numismatist

Your experience is typical, and is what most fail to mention. Littleton's customer service is above average. If you don't like their prices, don't buy. It's easy.

7. bahabully

bahabully Junior Member

Just saw this thread.. wow is right ! Wonder how they are selling. I guess at the very least it will make the ones out there for sale at ~$30 look like a steal... btw, even at $30 I'm not a buyer.

8. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

Well, after four pages of grueling back and forth, I've established a couple things.
    1. Littleton is a business like anyone else, if you don't like the prices, don't buy at all. They can be attributed to getting young collectors in the hobby at a price. Of course open any magazine of Coin World or Coins, and likely you'll find other dealers who charge just as much if not more for their inventory. And I just realized this last night as I went through a couple issues.
    2. There is a huge fan base for Ike dollars, and I respect that. Collectors and Numismatists come in all shape in sizes.
    3. The Big Sky Hoard is significant for many reasons, for the most part it's the biggest find of clad coins ever. And it opens doors to new and undiscovered varieties and errors in America's last big coin.
    4. If you don't have anything nice to say...then well, keep it to yourself (and I'm not afraid to admit it) :eek:

Flying fists aside, compelling thread guys! A very memorable one for me!

9. coinguy-matthew

coinguy-matthew Ike Crazy

LOVE IKES and someday these will become collectible....

10. coinhead63

coinhead63 Not slabbed yet

Littleton is just one of many who charge more than market value for coins while paying below grey sheet. At one time, I bought a few coins from them and soon realized that it would take a few years before the market would catch up with the price I paid. The only thing I would consider buying from them would be coin supplies. As for collectors buying coins, they are almost as bad as "The Coin Vault" on TV.

Draft saved Draft deleted