"Big Sky" Ikes for sale by Littleton

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Wally in Cincy, Jan 10, 2012.

1. PdlJmpr

PdlJmpr Junior Member

'
    I'm mainly a post-silver collector, so I'm glad that this clad series is getting better attention. Due to a fellow Ike collector/expert and former member at Northside I have renewed my interest. In the last couple of years I have expanded my circulated only series of Ike's to include some types and will eventually get all issues into a new album. I remain a low budget opportunist, so the "hoard" is interesting but, thanks I'll pass.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheCoinGeezer

TheCoinGeezer Senex Bombulum

My mistake, the Numismatist squib on this said Littleton expects to SELL for a million, not that they paid that much.
    Irrespective of what they paid, $69 for a MS65 coin is really ludicrously high.
    Having searched through about a gazillion Ikes in putting together a set, I'd have to say that nice examples for the assigned grade are the exception rather than the rule. But there are still more nice Ikes out there than there are collectors of them, IMO.
    At any rate, putting almost a quarter of a million 1978D Ikes on the market is bound to depress the price, Littleton's asking price notwithstanding.

4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Next stop - slab protector protectors.

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Littleton, overpriced?

Say it ain't so.

:)

6. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Fortunately for me they ripped me off when I was a kid. I never ever bought from them again. In fact mail order coins are usually too good to be true and too expensive.

7. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I respect your position and your collecting goals. I also think you are right someday there probably will be more demand. I just don't like the look of the coins, just like I don't collect on purpose any modern base metal coins. Too low a relief for me to find them attractive. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, though, sir, and I would gladly defend your right to collect all you want. I am sure 95% of the people here would hate the ugly little things I collect, so fair is fair. :)

Chris

8. Irish2Ice

Irish2Ice Member

I am SO glad you admitted that. I was having a hard time with you calling an Ike ugly when looking at your avatar. LOL.

What IS that thing? .........a Polish/Chinese sprite-gnome?

9. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Its a Roman Republican coin minted 77 BC. I don't normally collect them, I just bought this one because the lady looks like my mother, and the reverse has a greyhound which she used to adopt from race tracks. She passed away a few months ago.

I know you meant no disrespect, I didn't take it that way at all Irish2ice. :) Trust me, my normal coins I collect you would most likely find uglier than this one. Byzantines/Sogdians/Hepthalites aren't winners of any beauty pageants.

Chris

10. Irish2Ice

Irish2Ice Member

Well don't I feel like a jack***. Glad you knew I meant no disrespect. Oddly enough, the Eisenhower reminds me of my grandfather...........especially the old military pics of him.

11. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

I like Ike.

I might consider one of these if they were MS66's but not 65's over priced IMO.

12. BMoscato

BMoscato ANA# R-1181086

All I can say is, "NO!"

13. jcakcoin

jcakcoin New Member

I'll pay only one price for Ikes, $1

14. quartertapper

quartertapper Numismatist

MS-65 Ikes are very attractive, but a realistic price is essential for most people. This is not a realistic price.

15. I think finding the hoard was very interesting. Unfortunately, Littleton bought it.

16. Irish2Ice

Irish2Ice Member

Wow. I never knew so many people were so adamantly against Ike's...........I love the darn things.

17. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

A lot of people feel the exact same way about any coin made after 1964. Many don't even consider them coins at all but tokens. Some act as though they believe coins haven't been made at all for half a century. This was actually the typical collector attitude until the last several years which is why there aren't hoards of clads; no one saved them in the first place.

18. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

We're not against the coin, of course its a heck of a lot better than any other dollar coin since 1978. We are against the enormous price that our wonderful northeast coin company is selling them for in comparison to said grade.

19. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I would expect the MS66's (if there are any) to be begin at the $300 level.

20. 19Lyds

You made me smile!

21. 19Lyds

Words of wisdom from a dedicated Numismaist!

Draft saved Draft deleted