Big fan of this tet from Roman Egypt

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by mrbreeze, Jun 12, 2024.

1. mrbreeze

mrbreeze Well-Known Member

Lately, I have been taking inventory and organizing my Tets from Alexandria. It is one of my favorite “offshoots” of my main collection. This is one of my favorites.
    IMG_0474.jpeg

IMG_0475.jpeg

RPC VI, 10695 (temporary)
    Maximinus
    Alexandria, Egypt
    L (gamma) - year 3, AD 236/7
    BMC 1805
    E 3271

The reverse is a bust of Alexandria, turreted.

The color is not correct as the background is a white piece of paper, but it’s a phone pic, so I can trade that for ease of use.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2024
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

It's a very pleasing example. I like it too.

nerosmyfavorite68 likes this.
  4. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

It would be one of my fav too, I guess
    Thanks for sharing

Q

5. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Great coin. I "dally" around the area, always in danger of diving deeper. I have some cool pieces, like all of the Pharos type coins, (not all rulers who issued them yet though), and a couple of Sphinx pieces, but it is one of those vortexes in ancients that always threaten to suck me in. Terrific history.

6. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

That’s a nice coin! I have a tetradrachm with a bust of Alexandria on the reverse but it’s a bit later.
    ClaudiusIIAlexandriaEmmett3869.JPG
    Claudius II, AE Potin tetradrachm of Alexandria, Egypt. Year 2. AYT K KΛAYΔIOC CEB, laureate, cuirassed bust right / L-B to left and right of Alexandria, draped and turreted bust right, wearing close fitting cap, curls of hair down the neck. Maerkl Coll. 29; Mionnet VI 3427, Pl. III 56. Kampmann 104.19; Milne 4246; BMC 2330; Emmett 3869.

7. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member

I typically don't pay much attention to mint locations and so forth. But, in searching through a catalogue of my coins, I discovered that I had a few that were minted in Alexandria (No Alexandria reverses though :()

Cleopatra VII 80 Drachmae
    upload_2024-6-12_22-7-20.png

Claudius/Antonia Minor Tetradrachm
    upload_2024-6-12_22-5-9.png

Zenobia Tetradrachm
    upload_2024-6-12_22-5-50.png

I guess only the Claudius is Roman, but the others are among my favs :happy:

8. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I like how chunky those are.

Draft saved Draft deleted