Big Coin Show Aggravation

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Islander80-83, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

Dear Big Coin Show Attendees/Buyers,

cc: Dealers

So you're going to one of the big coin shows. You're looking for "one" specific coin. Let's say it's a 22 no D Lincoln, straight graded slabbed, G or VG...(pick one of your choosing)

Without walking in stinkin circles for hours and hours trying to remember which tables you have already been to with no luck, is there any mechanism or procedure in place to identify dealers with that specific coin, "before" you go to the shows?

The only thing I can think of is acquiring the list of attendees and contacting them individually, prior to the event.

I know I know the hunt is half the fun, I get it. Not for me, if I have to drive sometimes hours with parking and tolls then come away with nothing......that's not fun!

Although I might be limiting myself, I'm not interested in buying on-line, auctions or LCS's.

Sincerely,

Aggravated

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    wxcoin, Stevearino and Collecting Nut like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Good question, & certainly important to buyers looking for specific coins. You would think that dealers would have an accurate accounting/catalog of their offerings. Maybe for some, it would be too tedious. I'm sure there are different degrees of dealers/sellers, as to their selling tactics/strategies.

I'm sure most sellers would want potential buyers to peruse all their offerings with the chance that some will make that spontaneous purchase. On the other hand, if I knew a customer was after a specific coin, I would want to bring to their attention that I have one!

Be interesting to see the responses from any sellers, & what they do. :happy:;)

wxcoin, Stevearino and Islander80-83 like this.
  4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I go and I have my list of coins I want. I just treat a show like an antique shop. Always stick to the right. Once around, note any top dealers and then do the same thing in the middle. Who knows, I may find something I hadn't counted on! :)

Trish, wxcoin, Stevearino and 3 others like this.
  5. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

If I am going to a show to buy a specific coin, I don't go to a show. Too much hassle for that which I can do online.

I go to a show to see what I am not expecting. I went to FUN once with money for ancients, and walked out with a 1999 Platinum proof eagle, a bunch of high grade 5 kopeks, a few ancients, and a PA Franklin note. The time before I went for some bullion, and walked away with a Pharos tet and a high grade Aelia Capitolina Emessa stone issue, (two ancients). It depends on what you find for sale, that and meeting and learning from dealers is why I go.

I agree OP if you want to find a 1922 plain cent only, a show is kind of a hassle for you. I would suggest going to the show to go to the show, and if you HAPPEN to find a 22 plain you like, then fine.

6. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I have to agree with the guys above...... You sound like me. If I need a truck, I drive to the lot, tell the fellow what I intend to spend, pay and leave. I am not a browsing sort of person. Not even remotely. Heck, I went to a small show two weeks ago with a list of three cent nickels that I needed to plug holes in a Dansco. Even with only twenty dealers in attendance it was darned difficult to tell which may have three cent nickels. I walked the room three times..... I agree with the others. Going to a big show with a specific target may drive you (like it would me) batty.

7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

If I go with a specific coin needed, I ask a familiar or somewhat familiar dealer if he has one, and if not or if it is not the condition I wanted, I will ask him if he knows any other dealer with one, and that I will say that he gave me the 2nd dealer's name so the first dealer doesn't feel used. Before shows start, the dealers usually look around themselves and they have the best idea of who has what. If the first is grumpy , try another. You can always say you only hear mostly about bad dealers on cointalk and it will be nice to say you found an exception. Social engineering is always appropriate when buying or selling. IMO, Jim

8. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

My method is:
    1. First, talk to any of my regular dealers who are at the show. Ask any of them who say they don't have it if they know who would, and note down the names.
    2. If I haven't found my coin at any of my regular dealers, go to the people whose names my regular dealers gave me, plus any others who I know might have it. For example, I might go to @The Penny Lady® or @ToughCOINS to find a 1922 no D. Again, ask those who don't have my coin who might and note down the names. Mark a check next to names as I visit them.
    3. If I'm out of names and still haven't found my coin, then I might just walk the floor and see what's out there. Who knows, someone else might have what I'm looking for, or something I didn't even know I was interested in! :)
    That's it. For a 1922 no D, I don't think you'd get past step 2. That's a coin, I'd expect at least 1 or 2 of to be at most shows, even fairly small local ones.

For a really niche sort of coin, I might go back to one or more of the dealers from step 2 and ask them for help in obtaining it. For example, if I were looking for a Caligula denarius in aVF-VF grade, this might be the way to go.

Islander80-83 likes this.
  9. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Search online for dealers that have what you are looking for.
    If/When you find some see if they are setting up at the large show you will be attending.
    If any are, contact them and ask if they'll bring what you are looking for.

10. Islander80-83

@Collecting Nut, @medoraman- Yes my fear or weakness, walking out with something other then what I went in for! :banghead::banghead:

@Randy Abercrombie- Yep, not a browser or window shopper. Get what I need a get out!

@desertgem, @Paul M.- Yes, good point. I'm not a big net-worker, just a standalone hobbyist. Ask the vendors/dealers, they usually know each other.

@kanga- I think there is usually a list of vendors posted on the website in advance of the event. I could contact those guys and ask.

11. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I'm glad I don't collect sets, i.e. fill holes.
    That would take the fun out of coins for me.

The only "sets" I am really collecting are Napoleon Bonaparte's family on crown-sized coins in EF or better, Latin Monetary Union silver 5-unit and gold 20-unit denominations, and Austria Au/Nb bimetallic 25 Euros.

Other than that, whatever catches my eye or fancy.

12. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I think we all kind of collect "sets". It is just how you do it. I left US coins because they allow others to tell us what constitute a "set". I had no interest in a 55 dd or a 22 plain since I consider them errors, but others would tell me my set was not complete.

In ancients, you define your own set mainly. So, if I can determine what a "set" is, I can collect them when I wish, and I am done when I say I am done. That kind of "set" collecting is appealing to me.

I still collect whatever shiny strikes my eye as well. :)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  13. Islander80-83

That is my personal, dilemma, demon and I can't disagree with you. I've looked at those stink'in empty Whitman holes for years, including that S-VDB! I've just made it my personal challenge to complete those stink'in sets!

14. Collecting Nut

One day it will happen. :)

Islander80-83 likes this.
  15. Collecting Nut

If you buy it you like it.

I feel the same way but in an antique shop or at a rock or coin show and sale I like to take my time.

You can get to know the dealers yourself.

Find vendors you like. Spend time at their table. It makes no difference if your talking with them or listen to how they speak with others. You'll quickly learn who to like and who to avoid.

At coin or rock shows and in antique shops I take my time. They are my hobbies and I'm willing to spend time there. It's all in the mind. Hehehe :)

wxcoin, Stevearino and Islander80-83 like this.
  16. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

When I go to a big show, I have a group of dealers I see first. Then I see the secondary list dealers. Who makes these lists? They are guys who have been honest and treated me well in the past. After that I have a lower list, and then there is the list of guys who are a waste of time. I almost never go to them.

As for looking up what is available, try the PCGS “collectors corner” site. I have found coins at a show that way by noting what the the dealers are offering on-line. It has worked for me a few times. You can also look on the PCGS “Coin Facts” site. There are notations of offerings at the bottom of the auction records displays.

As for the 1922 Plain cent you want, bear in mind that there are three varieties of that piece. The major TPGs only accept the variety with the strong reverse.

I am sorry to tell you, but that coin will be hard to find in G-VG at a major show. Many times a dealer will not bring that coin to the show because it’s not expensive enough for them. You would have to ask the dealers, who have them, to bring them to the show. It’s disappointing, but that’s the way to it works at the major shows. A sale that comes to a few hundred dollars is a “small sale” for them.

17. Islander80-83

Thanks for the detailed feedback. I'll need to do some net-working.

Question: You're saying a slabbed 22 no D strong rev. is not expensive enough? I'm thinking a G or VG would run me $300 or $400.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  18. Dug13

Dug13 Well-Known Member

What a coincidence!! I was just at the revamped CoinX Show in St. Louis last Friday and Saturday. They just rolled new technology were you post what you want to buy or sell, it goes to an electronic board. Then interested dealers at the show then contact you by text. I did not use it, but others were and seemed to like it.

19. Collecting Nut

That's about right but for a lot of shows that coin is small potatos. I need 2 coins for my high grade Peace Dollar Set. A show I went to last year, only one dealer had them and he had both of them.

I didn't care for his attitude or the attention he gave me. I had the money but he wanted $200 more than the going rate. They should have been around $600 each but he wanted $800 and he wasn't willing to come down at all. The market is dropping on Peace Dollars. I've been looking for years but I wasn't about to pay his price.

I'm still looking but I'll find them, at the correct pricing too. Another dealer was there and aI ended up buying several nice Bust Halves from him. In love Bust Halves but I don't really collect them. He was nice, friendly and very social. I'd buy from him in the future. I also got very good prices on them.

It all depends on the show. :)

20. Islander80-83

That is exactly what I'm talking about and looking for. With all today's technology, come on coin show organizers!!!!

Thanks @Dug13!!

21. Islander80-83

I wasn't sure if I was a small potato's buyer but I guess I am. You just confirmed it! :hilarious: :happy:

Collecting Nut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted