Biddr / Caria Coins - Trebonianus Gallus being sold as Gordian I

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Finn235, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

Is it just my perception or are there actually more numismatic auction houses than collectors these days?

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I see the description was changed. That does leave the question of whether you want to buy coins from a dealer who can't tell Treb from Gordian. Here on Coin Talk we have had more than one beginner post a junk coin like Tetricus II CAES certain he had a Julius CAESar. This is normal for those who have heard of no other Romans. But, when it is done by a 'pro' asking us to pay them for numismatic services, is this acceptable???? This is not an error 'everyone' makes. That would be confusing GI with GII.

5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I see that they already changed it. Not much of a resemblance to Gordian I, certainly a mistake an experienced numismatist would not make.

6. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Here, here. I will avoid this coin house that I've fortunately never encountered before. Thanks for the vigilance. You helped save some fool form parting with his money for not knowing:)

Finn235 likes this.
  7. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I’m still a very inexperienced beginner but even I could tell that it’s not a G1. T-Gall has many faces, but none really look much like Africanist

8. Aleph

Aleph Well-Known Member

Still says 238AD

Roman Collector likes this.
  9. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Come down CT members. I personally know the guy who works for this auction house in the identification department. He is blind for over 30 years and very competent in numismatic. Do you mean that a handicapped person does not have the right to work? I defy anyone here to attempt to identify one of your coins using only the tips of your fingers. The last mistake he made was 8 years ago when he misattributed the portrait of Nero with the one of Elisabeth II. So please give the man a chance.

Ryro and Finn235 like this.
  10. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Interesting. I wonder if he has a backup identifier?

Draft saved Draft deleted