Bidding War at It's Worst

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by -monolith-, May 11, 2024.

1. -monolith-

-monolith- Supporter! Supporter

Bidding War at It's Worst:
    Opening Bid = 1 Euro, Bidding War started at 20 Euro's and blew up to 480 Euro's plus 16% commission plus shipping (apx $580)

Bidding War.jpg

galba68, Factor, sand and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Is it rare or a special type provincial for old Gordy III? Looks unremarkable to me.

sand likes this.
  4. nerosmyfavorite68

nerosmyfavorite68 Well-Known Member

Like George Carlin would say, "WHY?!!"

sand likes this.
  5. romismatist

romismatist Well-Known Member

6. romismatist

romismatist Well-Known Member

Looks like it was just between two bidders who each really wanted it...

philologus_1 likes this.
  7. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

Looking closely, only bidder two was upping the ante. Bidder one upped the bid exactly one second later each time, so I assume he or she had made an enormous top bid to begin with, probably 500 euros. Probably never anticipated it would actually go that far.

galba68 and sand like this.
  8. nerosmyfavorite68

nerosmyfavorite68 Well-Known Member

Could it be shilling?

sand likes this.
  9. philologus_1

philologus_1 Supporter! Supporter

Indeed, that was a classic duo bidding war! Two people who each recognized the value of the coin, each had the hots to acquire it, and each had the deep pockets to take a stab at it.

This type is apparently very rare. There are none on ACS. And RPC Online cites one lone example -- and it's in a Berlin museum. So, for a collector of Gordian III coinage (and there are quite a few such collectors), this listing was perhaps a once-per-decade opportunity... or even... once-per-lifetime?

I wouldn't necessarily suspect shilling. But rather . . .

Neal, galba68, sand and 2 others like this.
  10. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Makes a bit of sense than, since it is special.

11. -monolith-

-monolith- Supporter! Supporter

Before the auction I researched and valued the coin, based on prior similar purchases, and I was nowhere close to the hammer price. I have numerous rare coins (1-4 known examples) of various emperors or relatives and I have never spent more than $150+- on a coin. At this price it probably won't take long before additional specimens show up at 1/10 the cost. I agree some Gordian collector really wanted this one, hope they don't have bidders remorse.

galba68, sand and nerosmyfavorite68 like this.
  12. Pedro Matos

Pedro Matos New Member

I wouldn't criticize, as both bidders might be collectors of Gordian III and only pretend to add new coins to their collection, and not to sell it´

That said, I would never get that coin for that price (but it's just me)

sand likes this.
  13. Factor

Factor Well-Known Member

I can certainly understand these two bidders. If it is a must have rarity for a specialized collector the price can get very high. Last year I ended up paying almost thousand dollars for a small bronze of Marcus Aurelius from Caesarea Maritima. By all means not a rare emperor or city but it was the best known coin of a very rare type.

Neal, galba68, sand and 1 other person like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted